Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes when converting to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two weeks ago, I bought a Mac Studio. 

I want to convert a 100-page InDesign file to a printable PDF. InDesign crashes.

I reinstalled InDesign. I couldn’t solve the problem. I couldn't find any source on the internet or the Adobe support community.

The same file was working very well on my six years old iMac.

I brought my Mac to the Apple store today. The machine is working very well.

Has anybody had the same issue?

I am not able to send the file to the printer.

Please advise.  I am stuck.

I have a macOS Monterey, version 12.3.1, Apple M1 Ultra, Memory 64 GB Mac Studio.

Adobe InDesign ver 17.2

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Try to export the file as idml.

Try to export the first half of the file to find what causes the crash. If the first half crashes, divide it again until you find the page where the issue is (a font? an image?)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to reset preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys until you see a warning message asking for confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it is still crashing. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it is still crashing.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to export the file as idml.

Try to export the first half of the file to find what causes the crash. If the first half crashes, divide it again until you find the page where the issue is (a font? an image?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the reply here, does this happen only on the one file, or on all files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice from everyone so far.

My method would be to try divide and conquer.

Try exporting half the amount of pages, for example, 1-50

Then try 51-100

Does it crash on either of these exports?

If the answer is yes, try exporting 1-25 then 26-50 etc.

You can then narrow down the file to find the problematic page(s).

It could be a text frame, it could be a picture, it could be a logo, it could be a font, or anything causing minor corruption.

Once you find the problematic page - try removing items and exporting that portion again to see if it crashes again.

Once you have identified the item causing the issue, for example, a picture/logo, try resaving the image and relink it to the file. See if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first feeling knowing how new computers are behaving is that you may have security issues, in the sence that the mac is not allowing the software to write where you are trying to write the file. Could be that you are trying to auto open the PDF, and that is what the Mac is not allowing. I find that security/privacy is more common these days.

You are changing computer, operating system and version of Indesign? I assume that there are also links and fonts involved. There may be chages in any of the three above that makes somecontent problematic. Eugene has a good strategy for nailing the problem. Also would be good to confirm that the file exports from the original computer. If you do find the problem there is options in the Preflight that allow you to check for certain types of fonts and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to ask are you saving to local drive or network? Are you sure all files and links are on yuor local computer and not just linked to your iCloud (OneDrive and other cloud file saving can also make you think you have access to files that are not on your computer)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your response and great advice.

It was very helpful.

One of my fonts was causing all the problems.

I solved it.

I can’t believe I work almost a week to solve this problem.

Thanks, everyone.

The support community ROCKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know - I marked @jmlevy as the correct answer on your behalf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines