I am trying to export an InDesign file as a Reflowable EPUB file. When I attempt to do this, InDesign become unresponsive and I get the spinning beach ball on my Mac. I can export this file as a Fixed Layout EPUB file. This file is for my students who are using a variety of devices, which is why I want a Reflowable EPUB file and not a Fixed Layout EPUB.
My InDesign file was created from a 19-page Word file (docx). Cover is set to None. InDesign freezes when attempting to create either EPUB 2.0.1 and EPUB 3.0 files. I have tried rebuilding the InDesign preferences, but that does not help. Last week I did not have this problem.
I am working on a Mac running Big Sur 11.6.2. InDesign is version 17.0.1.
Copy link to clipboard
I had this problem with previous versions but not the current one. To get rid of the influence of older versions here, I recommend to export as IDML, open that, save as INDD and export from the current version.
this will be helpfull for me i had this problem also.
I will give this a try.
Let's shout this from the rooftops! YOUR SOLUTION WORKED! A font issue. I use only two font families: Cambria and Calibri. When I reopened the IDML file and saved it back to INDD, I have 55 errors. 40 of these error were fixed by retyping the text within InDesign. The remaining 15 required me to go to Type>>Find/Replace Font and replace the "missing" font with Calbri Regular. Now I wonder if I could have fixed all 55 errors with the Find/Replace Font command.
Copy link to clipboard
Assuming you've correctly formulated your Reflowable ePub (producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuitive), I suggest you divide the InDesign document in half and export each half as an ePub and see if you have a half that is ok and a half that isn't and keep dividing and checking until (hopefully!) you isolate the issue.
In the meantime maybe produce a PDF version for your students!
I don't think I've ever had an EPUB export crash ID, no matter how badly flawed or how many errors it generated. OTOH, the current release seems to be stuffed with crash-test dummies, so it could be a (mostly) unrelated problem.
Yes, I do give students access to pdfs. The distribution venue for my OERs (Open Educational Resources) works best with Reflowable ePubs because of the issue of the wide variety of device students use to access my OERs (desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smart phones).
I doubt that I have a font issue. I only use the Cambria and Calibri font families.