• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing when exporting endnotes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the most current InDesign available on Creative Cloud and working on a Mac OS 10.13.2. I have a manuscript that was exporting to PDF fine until I reformatted the endnotes (just put a period after each number. So it went from 1 Endnote information (how it automatically formatted) to 1. Endnote information. That is the only difference I can identify. When the system kept crashing I tried cutting the endnotes and pasting them back in and then they exported without crashing InDesign, but all the formatting and the numbers were gone. Endnotes looked like this. <?> endnote information. I can print out the whole document up until the endnotes, but as soon as I try to print even one endnote page InDesign crashes completely. I've looked at the forum under Indexing and see that that also crashes the system. I don't know if it's a similar issue. I need to be able to export the manuscript to PDF so I'm hoping someone has a fix for this. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Interesting. I tried changing the font and it didn't crash. And I changed it back to the one I was using and it did crash. So, using periods in the footnotes with certain fonts crashes InDesign. (Glad at least have some more ideas about how to problem solve when there are crashes.) Thanks for looking into this!

Best,

Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first. Update to 10.13.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I think you mean 10.13.6. If you have ideas that might address my problem with exporting the InDesign document I'd be very happy to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever is current. There were some very serious issues with earlier versions of High Sierra.

As for this document, if it's only this document...export to IDML, open that and see if you can work on it without crashing. It's possible there's a bit of corruption in there that IDML can clean out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's what it said to do for the similar issue with indexing. But I tried that and it's still crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I figured out that if take the period out between the end note number and the end note, InDesign doesn't crash. Hard to believe that adding a . after the end note number crashes the whole system, but it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dovz34096061  wrote

Well, I figured out that if take the period out between the end note number and the end note, InDesign doesn't crash. Hard to believe that adding a . after the end note number crashes the whole system, but it does.

Hi dovz34096061 ,

crashing because you added a period to the endnote number is not the norm.

Just tested this with my German InDesign CC 2018.1 version 13.1.0.76 on Windows 10.

Printing to e.g. PostScript was possible without crashing. Ok, you are on OS X 10.13.6. That could be a difference.

Do you have a sample document that you can share with Dropbox or a similar service? Just post the download link in your reply.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I created a sample excerpt (two version) of the document that crashes with the period after the number in the endnotes (all it takes is one). It works fine when I delete it. I've fixed the full document by taking out all the periods. Curious to hear if you have any ideas why this happened.

Dropbox - endnote_glitch_tester4_ch1.indd

Dropbox - endnote_glitch_tester4_ch1fix.indd

Best,

Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

I see no crashes with your sample documents.

Printing ok, exporting to PDF ok.

However, I did not work with the exact versions of your applied fonts.

( You did not provide the used ones.)

Maybe that's the point?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I tried changing the font and it didn't crash. And I changed it back to the one I was using and it did crash. So, using periods in the footnotes with certain fonts crashes InDesign. (Glad at least have some more ideas about how to problem solve when there are crashes.) Thanks for looking into this!

Best,

Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dovz34096061  wrote

Glad at least have some more ideas about how to problem solve when there are crashes.

Except that there should not be any reason at all to crash because of a period in a certain font... Also, changing the font cannot always be "the" solution

I see the font you used is marked "TT", for TrueType. Can you try with the latest version – a proper OTF? It may just be a bug in that one font, and fixed in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem--InDesign crashing every time I exported to PDF--and realized that I had accidentally included the endnote bracket in a hyperlink. I used story editor to identify which endnote had the issue and then resolved it. I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines