• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign crashing when printing to Konica Minolta

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any definitive answer to the issue of indesign crashing or hanging when comunicating with Konica minolta machines. We are have recently upgraded to the horror which is Creative Cloud and we are having A LOT of crashing issues when printing from Indesign. Its not a prcessing issue. Or a file format issue. It seems to be a two way communication issue. 

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THE ANSWER 'PRINT FROM ACROBAT, NOT INDESIGN" !!!

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

But I'd still start with asking you if you export to PDF, does it print from there?

Then I would immediately ask you why that doesn't get you past your problem?

I have two clients who are working fine with a couple different models of Konica Minolta color multifunction devices in busy work environments. Cranking out hundreds to thousands of pages a day with no issues. They can print from InDesign and from PDFs. No problems.

If you're looking for help, we'd need to know exactly what model of KM printer you're using. We'd also need to know what kind of systems you're using to create your InDesign documents, what version(s) of operating systems and Creative Cloud you're using, what kind of documents you're having problems with, and how you connect your systems to your problematic KM printer.

I know you're not happy with your current situation. If you're looking for commiseration, we feel your pain. If you're looking for help, please share your particulars with us and we'll try our best to lend a hand.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy reply Randy. Ive spoken with KM and they say its a common issue with their customers which already had the presses installed on a Mac, and then upgraded to Creative Cloud. Seems to be two way communication issue. You can send a job to press, but when going into multiple menues to change setting, it will hang and crash. Reinstalled all print drivers and seems to be a little more stable. We have multiple designers running multiple KM presses without too much issue for last 18 years. We currently have two KM C3080 and a KM C2060 (plus some others) with OS 10.14.6. Printing from InDesign gives far more control, such as adjusting individual pages manually, ink aliases, spot colours, colour profiles, data merging, running scripts, manually patching over issues to supplied artwork.... all without saving a new PDF or reimposing. Most of all, the Acrobat print menus are pretty bad, and need lots of clicking around. It was so abvious you were going to say "Print from Acrobat". Maybe I should have underlined that last part in my original message.  We are a high production design and print house, with over 50 years experience in the design room alone. Weve seen the rise and fall of Apple and Adobe. Apple is now a toy company, and Adobe thinks expensive subscription is a good idea for a dying print industry and falling designer wages.  I realise you have lots of customers making it work, but please realise most of your community dont know what bleed is... or page imposition, or RGB, or pure black... Most real designers I know are studying something else and are trying to get out while they can, and leaving this bullsh*t for Fiver to handle. Sorry for the rant, but cant you see the writing on the wall? The real community has lost faith and are looking elsewhere. Like apple, your customer base is no longer the professionals. And we are looking for an alternative.       

Thanks again Randy. I guess we just miss the days when things just worked.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. I'll forward your feedback to the product team.

Would you mind sharing the version of the OS & InDesign? I'd also request you to try the troubleshooting steps given on this community post to improve the app's performance. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I missed it, but I don't see where you answered the question: "Does it print from Acrobat?". That would help pinpoint where the problem lies. 

My questions:

Does the PDF it print from Acrobat? 

Can you print from other Adobe programs, such as Illustrator?

Can you print from other programs, such as Word, using same fonts?

Can you print to other printers from InDesign?

Can you print out without graphics from InDesign?

If you have any unique fonts, what happens if you change the fonts to a generic/standard font?

Can you print out sections of the documents(s)?

This could be an issue with InDesign and the particular print driver OR a bug in the driver. Without testing, it's hard to pinpoint how extensive the problem is.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your responses everyone. We can print from any Adobe software, from any workstation, using any file and any font. Our troubles are STABILITY. Mostly when backing out of menues within menues within the print driver, programs will hang and crash. This seems like a two way communication issue between the press, mac and software. As stated previously, we are running OS 10.14.6 and up to date Creative Cloud suite. There are quite a few work arounds we have set up to avoid these issues, such as print presets etc. This will help avoid the unnecessary need of clicking around within print menues too much. We can make this work. As with most system upgrades, there are normally a few changes you need to try and find work arounds for.  For example: remember when vector files were easier to deal with than images... now vector and transparencies cripple the way a program runs. We do appreciate the handful of improvements made to the sofware every few years, but there are many adjustments made to the software which achieve nothing but adding extra menues and extra mouse clicks. This software used to be streamlined and organic to use - Im sure we will get used to it eventually.... and then you'll change the way it is built again and we start the process all over again. Thanks again for your responses.       

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines