• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS3 How to copy text from one document to another

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't find previous discussions posted here that addressed this exactly. I am creating a new document (text publication) and want to copy text  pages from several earlier IDCS3 documents. Unless I'm wrong, it seems you can only have one ID document open at once. , what is the best way to copy-and-paste without losing styles/formatting?

It would be great if I didn't have to go back to original Word docs from which I "placed" in the old ID docs. I think I may be able to copy from ID doc and paste into a new Word doc which maintains styles/fonts, but looking for a more direct way with less steps.

Thank you all!!!!!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Hi @marilyns22705587 ,

you could use the snippet file format for exporting text frames or other objects on the page and place them in a different document. If I recall this right it's *.ins files you can export and import. *.ins files could also be imported with higher versions of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually working on a computer with CS3 (which would have to be a very old computer)? If you are actually working on a contemporary computer with a current version of InDesign then you should be able to open and update as many CS3 documents as you like. I'm not clear as to where you are copying and pasting from the CS3 documents. Older files from earlier versions of InDesign can always just be worked on in current versions. There would be no need for copying and pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your oh-so-prompt response and help in the past. I am working on a n older PC desktop with Windows10 with saved  CS3 files yes, I know it's outdated, but I only use it once a year for one text home publication....)

I did try to open more than one ID doc, but it won't open another doc without closing the already-open one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while but I don't think CS3 was limited to one open document at a time. Your options include:

• Cut and paste; be aware that styles with the same name but different soecs may not come over the way you want. 
  • Move entire pages with all content. 
  • Export the text to RTF, edit in Word, and place in new document. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I can't open two different ID docs at same time; have to close one to open another, unless there's some trick I don't know.I'm not sure I understand moving entire pages with all content or exporting to RTF, as I'm trying to retain exact, not edit.

I did try copying a text field (using text tool) from an old ID CS3 doc and pasting into Word. It did retain styles -- at least typestyle. Some older docs do have earlier spacing, so I will need to check each one anyway.

Any other suggestions appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible one document may be covering up the other. You should see open documents at the bottom of the Window menu.

Here is a line from the CS3 manual [emphasis mine]:

1 Choose File > Open and select one or more documents.

Also, I would select the text and export to RTF as I mentioned. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 was most certainly capable of having multiple files open and arranged on the screen. I don't remember exactly but you should find the command for this under the Window menu. ctrl+~ is the KBSC to navigate between open files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @marilyns22705587 ,

you could use the snippet file format for exporting text frames or other objects on the page and place them in a different document. If I recall this right it's *.ins files you can export and import. *.ins files could also be imported with higher versions of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines