New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Facts:

InDesign CS5, v7.0.4

OS X 10.7.4

No third-party font-management application running.

Macbook Pro (June, 2012)

InDesign crashes in these two instances:

1. Trying to delete a page that has content. Right as the warning box comes up, it shows up without content (just the "Warning" title) and crashes.

2. When packaging a file, as it's about to warn you about the perils of archiving fonts it does the same thing as above, and crashes.

Tried the alt-opt-cmd-shift trick to reboot preferences and nothing.

Tried deleting the two preference files directly so that they would rebuild and nothing.

Interestingly, I have another computer running OS 10.7.3 (as opposed to 10.7.4 on the crashy one) and the same InDesign CS5 7.0.4 and that one works perfectly.

Ideas? Leads?

Thanks

Armin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Our engineers have provided a workaround that, while potentially complex for some, should allow for full functionality.

Essentially we're asking those affected by this issue to place three icon files within the InDesign application file itself to bypass the check for the missing API.

Please take a look at the just published article and see if the steps and the files work for you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 217 Replies 217
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing a fresh copy of Lion in a Parallels virtual machine but experienced the same crashing problem. Whatever is causing the problem in the update is apparently be copied over to the virtual machine even though when I ran software update in the VM it did not ask to install the 2012 MacBook Pro update.

Maybe when installing Lion as a guest the hardware of the original machine is still identified and you get whatever the latest version of Lion is available for that hardware?

-Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had hopes that if I reinstalled lion and skipped the macbook pro update it would work, but the same crashing persists even without that update, so its something else that is causing it.

For those using CS6, the download prefs in this thread worked perfect for me. I can package files, with fonts no problem, delete pages with no crashing, everything seems to work as it should, except you wont be warned about things when you do something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone do this for CS5.5? Please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I received my MBP 15" retina this week and I work with Indesign CS6  every day without problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mbk28

I am curious, did you do clean installs of CS6, or migrate from another mac? If you migrated, the preference file from your previous mac was transfered over and you most likely have those warnings disabled. That was the fix for me, to get a preference file where the warnings were disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworkers and I are having this problem (indesign crashes on exporting to PDF), but on PCs, running Windows XP. It began to happen after "upgrading" to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samia.perkins, this specific issue in this thread should be directly related to MacOS. If it is crashing on Windows with blank dialog boxes, I suspect it is would be for something else entirely and may be worth working in a different thread to get more information on what is taking place.

As to responses on this matter, I know the engineers have this at a very high priority and as mentioned, when I know more about the scale of the changes necessary to address the change from them and what we can do to properly resolve it, I will share it immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted my attempt at an ID CS5 pref file with as many warnings turned off as I could think of:

http://compucraft.net/idprefs.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if anyone has 5.5.... i would be so.happy!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should try that CS5 file. It should work fine in CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY COW, this works.  Thank you so much bswets!  You're a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marko,

this is not the solution for everyone. i also re installed lion (osx 10.7.4). didnt install the mid 2012 update and the bug is still there!

id crashes all the time (versions i tested: 5.0, 5.5 and 6) every version crashes.

the only stable release is 3.0 with osx 10.7.4

dont have the 4.0 for testing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Berny, Just wondering, how did you install 10.7.4 on a mid 2012 powerbook pro? Mine is not accepting it. Running 10.7.3 now after the reinstall tip and all works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi pure&simple,

im using a new macbook pro with retina. and mac osx 10.7.4 . apple is also offering the mid 2012 software update 1.0.

apple told me that there is no possibility to downgrade to 10.7.3 with the new mac books cause 10.7.3 doesnt support the new intel ivy chip...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Berny, I'm running a macbook pro 13" mid 2012 on 10.7.3 which is not possible? Interesting, glad mine does with the Yve Bridge processor so I can still make a living.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you install 10.7.3? with the method mentioned (cmd+r on boot) i can only install the 10.7.4 and also the apple support told me that there is no possibilty to install 10.7.3 ... *confused*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your confusion Berny. The only thing I can think of right now is that the retina doesn't work with 10.7.3. I used the same install method and got 10.7.3 installed. The more reason for Apple and Adobe to find a solution (very) soon. Something is going terribly wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I re-installed Lion using cmnd+r, it set me up with 10.7.3...I think when you install that software update 1.0 for macbook pro, it THEN updates to 10.7.4?...I am running new Macbook pro 15" mid 2012 (non retina). So not sure why Apple said its not possible, cuz here is screen shot of what IS possible

Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 9.54.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marko

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be a difference between mb pro and mb pro Retina.

If you reinstall Lion on mb pro Retina (cmd+r) you can only Install osx 10.7.4

So my conclusion is: its Not the Mid Summer update(you also get the Update in 10.7.4 via recommended Updates). It is the osx 10.7.4 which cause the problems!!!

@adobe: pls fix this Bug. Our customer List is getting longer & longer with everyday!

And we cant work! We bought a Lot of New mb And they are useless...

Its only it garbage :@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am right there with you. First I did the update before seeing all the chatter about NOT using the update. After that InDesign would not even open. Then reinstalled lion and did not utilize the update and Indesign will open and I can utilize the program, but if I try to change print settings or save to a PDF it crashes with a blip of a warning box. I'm using the newest MacBook Pro with retina and OSx 10.7.4 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest reading the rest of the thread.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) introduces this problem as well. The provided Applescript seems to exclude 10.8 (and 10.9?) systems, so on my Mountain Lion system it wouldn't run. However, I crashed InDesign CS6 when exporting an IDML file. I edited the AppleScript to remove the system check and ran it for InDesign CS6, I was then able to export and IDML from InDesign CS6 on Mountain Lion.

I hope this helps someone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that will be coming up a bit and since I’m in the market for a new laptop, it’s good to know.

Thanks for reporting it.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've already installed the fix in Lion and upgrade to Mountain Lion, will you still have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bswets, was this the just released version of Mountain Lion or the beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines