• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5 keyboard shortcuts stopped working (Windows 10 Pro)

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anyone could help? I have successfully been using InDesign CS5 for eleven years now (haven't seen the need to update to later subscription versions) but yesterday a sudden reset of my system seemed to wipe out the user preferences and keyboard shortcuts. The user prefs were easy to restore, however, the keyboard shortcuts are proving tricky to get working again. 

When I go into Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, I can see that everything has been reset - no shortcuts are applied to any keypresses. If I click the 'New Set...' or 'Show Set...' buttons they have no effect. At the bottom of the dialog I can associate a new shortcut to a function (for instance, associating the Delete button to the 'Clear' function), but the 'Assign' button remains grayed out. However, if I just click the OK button for the whole dialog, the following error message is displayed: 'Can't update the file for the set "^ 1": the file "^ 1" is probably locked'. If I go back into the keyboard shortcuts dialog, the association that I made has been stored. This will remain until InDesign is restarted, at which point the keyboard shortcuts are again all removed. Has anyone seen this behavior and figured a solution? Many thanks  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is not at all supported under Windows 10 and with each update to the O/S you become more and more likely to experience issues. Beyond running the application in Windows 7 compatibility mode, there is little you can do beside being thankful that it runs at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Bob, this day had to come at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines