Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 - Hyperlink to File: Not working in PDF

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks!

I'm working in InDesign CS6. When I try to create a Hyperlink to a File (that's stored on my own computer) and then Export to PDF, the Hyperlink never works from the PDF. The PDF automatically jumps to "trying" to open a webpage, even though I definitely selected hyperlink to File rather than to URL.

I've tried every possible combination of options selected and boxes checked and unchecked, none of which has worked.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I'd be super-grateful. I've really gotta find a way to do this, because I'll have way too many hyperlinks involved to re-create them in the PDF every time I need to re-export it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to include that I'm working in InDesign CS6 Version 8.0).  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie,

how exactly do you do that with Acrobat Pro?

Could you provide some screenshots?

Maybe we find a way around with InDesign…

Hm. What PDF viewing app do you have in mind for the end-user?

Or are you personally the end-user?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings Uwe, and thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my question!

I'm actually trying to "do this" in InDesign CS6 version 8.0. [Please see 2 attached screen shots.]

What I've been doing is highlighting some text in my InDesign document, then adding a new hyperlink that's set to link to a "File" rather than to a webpage. Then, I export a PDF of my InDesign file. Then I open the PDF file and click on the text containing the hyperlink. 

When I try to set up a hyperlink (in InDesign) to a PDF file, Acrobat tries to look for it as a webpage URL, which gives me the error message "This site can't be reached" because it's there is no URL, there's only a file on my own computer. When I try to set up a hyperlink (in InDesign) to a different type of File (such as a Microsoft Word file) Adobe Acrobat does the same thing - it tries to look for it as a non-existent webpage URL. When I set up a hyperlink (in InDesign) to an actual URL, it works.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat X Pro. This particular project involves files that only I need to be able to open (I, as the end user.). But there will be times in the future that I'd like other people to be able to open PDF files I create from InDesign CS6 version 8.0 in whatever version of Acrobat Reader they might have.

I hope that's a more clear description of the problem I'm having. Thanks again for your assistance!  - Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines