• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS6 Running Extremely Slow.

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed and layout a catalog last year using InDesign CS5/Loepard. The job went smoothly. This year I have added about 25 pages and moved some items around. I am using InDesign CS6 (Cloud)/ Mountain Lion. It seems that the trouble started when I altered the page masters to rename and added a few more masters. I am at about the same amount of pages as last year and it takes about a minute just to highlight something and make a change or move something around. Sometimes it doesn't highlight at all, the little disk just spins.

Anybody have an answer for this? I have looked all over the internet and have tried all suggestions and it doesn't work. I have a deadline and this is extremely frustrating.

Anybody have an answer please email me at toddm@tallguygraphics.com

Thanks- Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

The Users/<yourname>/Library file is a hidden file on OSX.7 and .8

See this for instructions (says 10.7 but works for 10.8 as well)

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try and let you know what happens. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's what I tried. I made an idml file and opened it in CS5 and saved it. It did a little better but was still slow. from there I did as you said and Created a new file with the same page size, then rename the master page to something not used in the original file. In the original select all the pages inthe Pages panel, then open the flyout menu, choose Move Pages... and select the new file as the destination. Move them BEFORE page 1 to maintain the same sides of the spreads.

It's still slow but better. I appreciate the ideas...do you have any more. Oh and I also divided the file into 2 files because the current file is 112 pages and I still have to add more. This did not help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to package the file so that all the links would be in one place but all it did was make the wheel spin. I finally had to force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

Suitcase has been known to cause trouble from time to time. Try removing the auto-activation plugin from ID, and make sure you have the latest patch available from Extensis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did remove the auto-activation plug-in and that didn't work either. I noticed that the thumbnails on the pages panel are not loading. Could this be the problem and how do I solve that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have turned the humbnails off in an effort to speed things up. Should be in the panel prefs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, first thank you for all your help.

No, that was not the case but I found if I delete half of my master pages then there is no slow down at all. I had about 16 master pages. out of those 16, 9 of those was transfered over from the last catalog. I deleted all the new master pages and it runs fine. What do you think I may have done when I added the last master pages that caused such a slow down? All the master pages are very similar. Obviously I wanted to keep my master pages because the client tends to move pages around after it is all laid out.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sound familiar, but I may be projecting.

If you need lots of similar master pages you can often base them on one another. A "hub and spoke" oganization is more reliable than a long linear progression of inheritence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did base them off of one another but what seems to have caused the trouble was that I had to go back and change or delete certain parts of the new master page I created that was based off of the other. I'm not sure why that caused a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did was base the second of of the first and third off of the second and so on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tallguyG wrote:

What I did was base the second of of the first and third off of the second and so on...

That's the linear progression I was talking about. Better, if you can, to set up one with as many common elements as possible (even if it never gets used on a document page), then base the remainder on that one, making changes as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked very well! Thanks for all the info. You've been a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still seem to be having this issue, someone please help, i am a student with soooo many assignments to do, and i cant do them if indesign craps itself every move i make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines