Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 runs out of memory after installing other programs

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wish you could help me solve this issue. I have been working with InDesign CS6 on Mac Mini 2018 with 64 GB of RAM. But suddenly, the app runs out of memory right after lauch. All I did was letting LightRoom CC and Camera RAW update to latest versions. And maybe also lauch On1 software for the first time. When InDesign quits, I have a notice with "send to Adobe” that says: “This is a known issue and Adobe has a fix”, but the link doesn't work.  Before I revert to a previous backup, does that ring bells to someone?

Kind regards

Paul

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Hi @alpshiker , I don’t think you have mentioned your OS version yet. CS6 will not run on Catalina 10.15 so I assume it is 10.14 or earlier. On1’s recommended Mac OS is Catalina, so seems like a first step would be to uninstall On1 and see if that fixes the problem. It would also be worth trashing InDesign’s preferences as well as the Caches folder and see if that helps

Also, CS6 on 10.11 thru 10.14 you might look at the Java version—CS6 is happier if you fall back to Java6, which you can down

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of Memory issues rarely have to do with RAM.

How much free disk space do you have on the hard drive where you installed apps?

Do you have a lot of browser extensions?

It could be a memory leak. (not as bad as it sounds)

There's a few tips here 

https://www.macube.com/how-to/system-runs-out-of-application-memory-fix.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, there is a 1 TB SSD of which less than half is used. The out of memory occurs even after a restart with only ID running. The same document can be edited flawlessly on my older MBP with only 16 GB of Ram versus 64 for the Mini. I run on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about all the other things i mentioned - and also the link I provided.

It's hard to steer you in the correct direction when it's unclear what you have tried and what hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry that was part of the answer that was dismissed by the forum software.

What I suspect is that installing software upgdates has changed something in the way cache files are stored. Does ID use the CameraRaw cache folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't mentioned your operating system version, OS Catalina (10.15) and later, won't be compatible with InDesign CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had prepared a whole long answer but the forum blocks it, so here is the short question:

Please, where is the tick box Application Frame located? In Preferences? (I have another langage version)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Application Frame is to be found under the InDesign Windows menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I had located it and I tried the manoeuvre suggested in this post, but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

(ticking Application Frame and unticking Application Bar).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no longer a possibility to edit the posts? I wanted to mention also that I have trashed the User preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alpshiker:

InDesign CS6 is around 10 years old and is EOL (End of Life). I think the best solution for you – if you're a professional user of InDesign – is (assuming you have the correct system specs) upgrade to the current version of InDesign CC (16.4).

Regards, Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a 66 years old version, and so far so good!  😉  Why change a receipe that works? It worked flawlessly so far, but maybe installing new Camera RAW messed up with older Adobe software ways, that's a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And maybe also lauch On1 software for the first time. 

By @alpshiker

Are you sure it's not an issue with On1? 

Never heard of this software but I've looked up issues with it and memory is one of those issues. There are instructions for resetting that apps preferences, but you would need to rule this out.

Can you uninstall On1 and remove the preferences files to see if the problem persists?

Or another option is to start a new User Profile (temporary measure) and see if the problem with InDesign is still happening even on a new user account.

It would help rule out a few things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I suspected that too, in fact number 1. If it messed with memory or cache management, I doubt that trashing the app will suffice. Maybe reverting to a backup will, temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After purging cache folders and memory cache in Camera RAW and On1, it seems that I can work for a little while before (?) gets filled and things start to block. I cannot find any settings for stored previews and memory in ID. Does it use the Photoshop & Camera RAW CS6 settings?

Thanks for your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also one thing that could possibly be the culprit: I have a color preference conflict with ID CS6. The settings are not stored, and each time I launch ID I have to set the colors preferences and attribute a profile for the document. This happened even before I took the Photoshop & LR CC subscription, in fact I think it's from the CC trial I installed long ago. And by the way, the same problem occurs in Photoshop CC, which does not keep the profiles of opened images and I have to reassign them all the time. Well, I don't know where to start in order to solve the mismatch and maybe this has to do with cache settings too, which could explain what I experiment.

In this, Dereck is probably right in suggesting that the old doesn't fit with the new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be aware that CS6 is unsupported under anything later than 10.10. I'll leave the others to try to help but you should prepare yourself for the fact that you've reached the end of the road especially once you upgrade the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware that I took from you all a precious time for things that should not even be mentioned as far as relevance is concerned. I was hoping that perhaps, there was a known issue that would meet my question quite simply. Since that's not the case, anything is guesses and I will not bother you any longer with it. Thanks All for your support.

Kind regards, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @alpshiker , I don’t think you have mentioned your OS version yet. CS6 will not run on Catalina 10.15 so I assume it is 10.14 or earlier. On1’s recommended Mac OS is Catalina, so seems like a first step would be to uninstall On1 and see if that fixes the problem. It would also be worth trashing InDesign’s preferences as well as the Caches folder and see if that helps

Also, CS6 on 10.11 thru 10.14 you might look at the Java version—CS6 is happier if you fall back to Java6, which you can download from Apple here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob – The issue of the compatibility of the InDesign version and the OS was mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but I’m not seeing where @alpshiker mentioned the exact OS version. CS6 might not be officially supported on 10.11 thru 10.14, but if  @alpshiker  is running one of those, the Java 6 downgrade helps. I never had any problems with CS6 running on Mojave after the Java downgade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to update this thread by mentioning that what Rob Day reminded here was the real issue. Although I had no longer crashes after reinstalling Mojave, I still had refresh problems after working for a while, with text disappearing from the screen. I had installed the old Java as prompted on the first launch of CS6, but I had not checked which version of Java was in operation, In fact I thought that both could run alongside. It is only after trashing the Java 8 applet from Library - Internet Plugins - JavaAppletPlugin.plugin,  that things work again smoothly. I don't know if upgrading the security files of Mojave as regularly prompted will revert to the previous, but at least I know what to look for and this might also be useful to some who run CS6. So, thanks Rob, you saved my day if I may say!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems that I posted on the wrong line, so here again:

I wanted to update this thread by mentioning that what Rob Day reminded here was the real issue. Although I had no longer crashes after reinstalling Mojave, I still had refresh problems after working for a while, with text disappearing from the screen. I had installed the old Java as prompted on the first launch of CS6, but I had not checked which version of Java was in operation, In fact I thought that both could run alongside. It is only after trashing the Java 8 applet from Library - Internet Plugins - JavaAppletPlugin.plugin,  that things work again smoothly. I don't know if upgrading the security files of Mojave as regularly prompted will revert to the previous, but at least I know what to look for and this might also be useful to some who run CS6. So, thanks Rob, you saved my day if I may say!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling Mojave (without erasing the existing apps and prefs) seem to have taken care of the problem. I can now browse quickly a book with high resolution images in high quality display. The spinning wheel appears shortly at times but everything is as smooth as it used to be. I wish I could do that on myself :-).

Thanks for your sympathy in sorting me out! I appreciate.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines