Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Data Merge

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having probelms data merging multiple records per page. I will attach pics of the files.

My TXT. file doesn't have " " inverted commas; does this matter?

I have saved Excel file as Tab-delimted Text file (TXT). See attached files. But Indesign is not reading my Days fields (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc) properly, as well as my Dates of the week.  

When I go to create merged documnet I am stopped by error message, "Cannot Create Merged Document Because no placeholders are present." (see attached). What have I done wrong here?

And is there a way to insert multiple TXT. files into the one Indesign document as I have multiple Master pages with Multiple placeholder text. Or should I just create a new Indesign doc for each Master page and corresponding TXT date merge file?

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

This structure of the table can help.

139374E2-9B4A-46DF-8E27-7FBFFE2646C4.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that layout will work is if you modify your data set to merge one record per page. You will need to add a column for each separate day, so you will need columns for Weeks, Date From, Date To, Day 1, Date 1, Day 2, Date 2 ... Day 7, Date 7, then add the extra field headers for the seven weekdays to your Master/Parent page. You shouold wind up with 52 records for one year.

That being said, there's really no need to merge the names of the days since those are the same on every page. Just enter them as static tex on your Master/Parent Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, of course I can just write the days of week (Monday, Tuesday) on master page. Thanks. I might try this other technique you've both mentioned.

But if I was using data merge, would I add anymore columns than what I've already got? I would delete weekday column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do data merge you will need a column for each unique piece of data on the page (you can use the same column to put the same data multiple times by putting the field placeholder in multiple positions), so you need columns for start each field of the header information and seven columns for the days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Excel is set up, data merging will not work. For this, the structure on the page must be the same, but it is not, because the calendar week is at the top and the weekdays at the bottom.
I would not go the way of a data merge, but either by inserting the data (for this the Excel must be adapted) or a script. If you need help, please contact me via private message.

Viele Grüße
Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Organization of the spreadsheet is not required to match the layout except that the spreadsheet needs to have a field for every value to be merged. How those are arranged on the document page is entirely up to the designer.

There are other methods of producing this layout that might be simpler than data merge. Simply placing two different text files, one for the page headers, and one for the day numbers, for example, with appropriate styles and keep options to assure that each entry is placed into a new frame, but this still requires creation of the data files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layout and structure of a data table makes sense, as it should facilitate the work. In this case, Excel would have to be created in the form "One row = one week", for example.

Viele Grüße
Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutley. Which is waht I was trying to say in my first response. I think I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter and Mario. If this other way is easier than perhaps I should try that.
I have PM'd you Mario for guidance, thanks for the offer. 👍🏼

Absolutley. Which is waht I was trying to say in my first response. I think I misinterpreted what you were saying.

By @Peter Spier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This structure of the table can help.

139374E2-9B4A-46DF-8E27-7FBFFE2646C4.jpeg

Viele Grüße
Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That table structure worked for the data merge. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have PM'd you Mario for guidance, 

aghanjar16430960_0-1690199308132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines