• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign drag duplicate does not work with this latest version

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a bout forever I have been have to use the option  (or shift and option if I want to duplicate horizontally or vertically)  to duplicate an element and drag it to where I want it to be. It is not working anymore. When I click on an object the double arrow does appear, but as soon as I drag, it disappears...I use this all the time, what is the fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Thanks for this, actually, I worked out the answer. This drag and duplicate I see has changed a bit. When I use the option key on an object you get a double "pointer" one that is black and one that is white, if I hold the option key down long enough so that both "pointers"  become white, then dragging and the object duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift constrains it and Options duplicates it. If you are doing everything correct then try resetting your preferences. Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

1. Exit the application
  2. Press and hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command+Control (macOS) as you start InDesign. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created when you start the application.

But it may be as simple as when you are holding the option key. In InDesign the option needs to be held prior to clicking or dragging or through the release of the mouse. The option key works in many applications to duplicate as you drag but when you hold the option key alters depending on the application.

Adobe Photoshop: You need to hold the option key prior to clicking and dragging the object.

Adobe Illustrator: You need to hold the option key through the release of the mouse.

Adobe Premiere: same as Illustrator but you can not hold it early as it will only select one part of the clip.

Adobe InDesign: The option key can be held prior to clicking on the object OR on the release of the mouse.

If you hold the option key too late and release it too early then it will not duplicate. I always hold it prior to selecting the object AND through the release of my mouse except in Premiere Pro. That way I do not have to think about it and it always works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Katie's suggestion to reset preferences does not work you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign in the following manner:

In the app section of your Creative Cloud desktop app click on the “V” next to the app’s (InDesign) name and choose the “Uninstall” option from the pull-down menu that appears. After you’ve run the uninstall then use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems . Then reinstall the program through the Desktop app. Before you reinstall, once again trash all preference files to make sure that your install is completely clean. Then launch InDesign and see if the problem persists.

Please be rest assured, however, that the dragging of duplicates works exactly the same as it always has. If Katies's and my suggestions don't work for you then please let us know what operating system that you are using. Also please make sure that the version you have of InDesign Cc 2019 is the latest release 14.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, actually, I worked out the answer. This drag and duplicate I see has changed a bit. When I use the option key on an object you get a double "pointer" one that is black and one that is white, if I hold the option key down long enough so that both "pointers"  become white, then dragging and the object duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not work for me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I had some whackiness happening with various option/command/shift click combinations. A restart seems to have put things back to normal. Pretty bizzare behavior for a mature software program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. Never turns to two white arrow. I'm on a mac platform 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Thank you this has been driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note that the feature works as it always did on Windows. 

For reference, it would be helpful to know your OS version in case others have this issue.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am still having thia issue: MAC OS Ventura 13.5.1. Unistalled and re-installeed. still does not duplicate wity option-drag altough the 2 arrows show. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines