Exit

Indesign edit menu greyed out

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Most of my edit menu greyed out. 

I uninstall Indesign but still is not working. 

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 15.45.58.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing your screenshot, it seems that nothing is selected in your document, so I do not see anything unusual in the Edit menu. What do you try to do that does not work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I can help here.

You need to select something to edit within your InDesign document before you can edit it. I suspect that if you select any element placed within your document and return to the Edit pull-down menu, you'll be able to see many more options for how you can edit that selected element.

For what it's worth, I don't know this because I'm Rhodes Scholar-bright about working with Adobe InDesign. I believe I quickly recognized your issue because I've screwed up that way before.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menus are context-specific. Without anything selected, those unavailable commands have nothing on which to operate. The ones that aren't disabled are available because, for instance, there's something on the clipboard available to paste, so the Paste command is active. If the clipboard was empty, Paste too would be unavailable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Working in indesign my edit menu suddenly wont work, nor my shortcuts like Cmd+z, help! I use these all the time in indesign so it's something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kustenklar :

Please share a screenshot of the Edit menu, with something selected in the background. This is normal behavior when you open the Edit menu without anything selected. See images below.

Frame selected on the page:

2023-04-27_07-48-58.png

No frame selected on the page:

2023-04-27_07-48-01.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks, I know how it works ... It seemed that the program suddenly froze the menus. I could'nt even save the file. Hade to close it down and the last 3 h version was not saved. Reinstalled the program and now it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to also reset your program preferences. This will make sure that the newly re-installed program is not feeding from what could have been corrupt preferences from your earlier version.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

ADDED EDIT:
In thinking further about your issue I would also suggest deleting your InDesign cache files. This is helpful for interface issues such as wonky menus.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s cache files are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire folder “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the InDesign cache folder completely leads to a lasting change.

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, I followed your instruktions. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't selected anything, tha is why.

BUT... I can see you have a missing font (pink background on text) and overset (red +) everywhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines