Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign extremely slow on MacBook Pro

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
My InDesign 16.2.1 is not working and has not been for a long time. It is actually unusable. The "colorball" is spinning every-time clicking anything from a menu to trying to click a text. Impossible to work in text fields, the ball just spins. If I finally get into a text field, there is aa delay on each type for about 5-10 seconds. But generally much worse and impossible to work in.
Being a contractor, this is a disaster and costing me business and not to mention stress levels are high due this. So Im begging that somebody has an easy fix to this problem.
All software and OS is up to date.
Thank you,

Nils

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the RAM on your MAC? Something less than 16 GB will give issues. You could try the following and see if it makes any difference

• Disable preflighting
  • Disabling GPU
  • Trashing preferences

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Manan

I have 32 GB an a i9 CPU.

• Disable preflighting - cant find where to do this
  • Disabling GPU - done
  • Trashing preferences - Normally easy to find the pref but cant find that either. Tried to Google the OS path but does match my Mac.

Thanks
  •  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Disabling preflight

Close all the documents. Go to the following menu path Window>Output>Preflight, it will open the preflight panel. Uncheck the on checkbox and it will disable preflight for all the documents opened henceforth

• Trashing preferences

See the following article

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately it did not help. Indesign is actually useless at this point and without a pysical support here in Iceland, Im just paying a monthly fee for a product the does not work and not sure I sohuld continue. The problem is, this is the standard app in 2021. Not even sure Quark is out there anymore.
Very frustrating and expensive experience this Adobe issue.
Thanks anyway,

Nils

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nilsj13607994 Quark is very much alive. A newer program, Affinity Publisher from Serif, is also a good program.

Both, in my opinion, aren't as strong and full-featured in some areas of publishing, but are good all-around tools for professional designers. We use them, as well as InDesign, at my studio but frankly, we're in InDesign 90% of the time.

But give InDesign another try. Have you recently upgraded your operating system? If you've upgraded to Apple's Big Sur OS, you might have some incompatability problems; update to InDesign's June 2021 (16.3) release to be fully compatable with Big Sur.

As a last resort, there's one technique we used when we did system installations for clients. Uninstall InDesign (through the Creative Cloud app), shut down the computer (cold, totally off, not a restart), reboot the computer, and then re-install InDesign through the Creative Cloud app. You could have a corrupted installation of the program and this gives you a clean installation. (Over time, software corruption happens to all software programs, not just Adobe's.) Be sure to back up your INDD and other data files (although they shouldn't be affected), as well as any fonts you've installed. Of course, your preferences will be gone and have to be reset, but that's better than where you are now.

Good luck to you.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines