• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file icons are generic white box

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I had a new profile added to my desktop (Win7) at work so that it wasn't under the old designers name but this morning I noticed that all InDesign files had been disassociated with InDesign. So, I did the whole "open with x program always" by browsing for InDesign but instead of the regular file icon, it now shows the generic white thumbnail with a tiny InDesign logo:

example of photoshop file with icon vs indesign file with generic icon

I've tried deleting/reinstalling InDesign and refreshing the icon cache, and checking out the other discussions on the topic. No success.

The files still work fine but it's mostly just an aesthetic issue. I need it to be fixed or it will drive me crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

I think you found the problem friend. It's your user profile. Just delete your said profile and start fresh. That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue described above for over a year and this solution worked for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

idml files associate correctly. using all recommended "association" methods, I can change indd files to any other icon except InDesign. Windows 10. InDesign install 9/26/2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click on the file with the missing icon, go to properties > open with: Change...> then there will be a selection of apps to choose from - if its not in this list > more apps - if not in this list, scroll down > look for another app on this pc > then find the application location in the file explorer. Once found and selected the application icon should return

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

U had similar issue with indesign 2021 and it was solved with uninstalling the InDesing then Ccleaner for cleaning the registy and without restart I reinstalled InDesign from Adobe creative cloud and then just pressed F5 to reload the folder with the problematic files and voa la 🙂 everythign works and icon shows well....

Hope it will be helpfull.

Have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem with Indesign 2022

None of the above solutions, such as associating the files etc. worked for me.

Uninstall and fresh reinstall solved it for me in the end - hopefully that will help somebody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Indesign 2022. Uninstall/reinstall didn't work. I finally got it to work by going to Default apps and choosing Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults. Then I was able to choose default apps by file type or right click on the file and do open with Indesign. After resetting then I had to choose the default for Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat as well as Indesign, didn't take too long, very happy this finally worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue even after trying all the solutions mentioned in the discussion. 

1. Uninstall all old versions of InDesign 2019 and New InDesign 2022 and Reinstalled 2022 Version again.

2. Deleted the registry for the FileExt default app.

3. Reset the Microsoft recommended defaults in the "Default app"

Still, showing blank icons wondering what's the issue? Can someone please suggest anything?

Thank you,

Nob 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, still having the blank icons here for all the .indd files. .idml icon works fine. How can this be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps that helped me:

- make sure your computer is update (reset computer)

- make sure your apps are update and any previous versions are uninstalled

- uninstalll/reinstall app

- sign out/ sign back in to Adobe Creative Cloud profile (this last one is what did it for me but the above steps should be done as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, today i have updated InDesign from CC2023 to 2024 and got the same problem. Tried everything mentioned in this thread and haven't gotten my problem fixed.

Finally, I fixed it by installing CC 2023 again. I've changed file association to CC 2023, the icon was still white blank. I uninstalled 2023 and again I've changed association to 2024 and icon appeared!!!

good luck 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, @tRiv. Thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you, which might help our customers experiencing a similar issue. Please feel free to reach out to us for any assistance in the future.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I am an IT technician and was troubleshooting this issue for one of my users. He just recently installed Adobe Indesign 2024 from Creative Cloud. After the update he began facing the blank icon issue. I attempted various registry fixes and uninstall/reinstalls but ultimately this did not work. This is on Windows 10.

What did work is:

1. Opened Default appliations in settings

2. Reset all file associations to Microsoft defaults

3. Checked file associations by file type - .INDD showed it did not have an application installed for it (weird) 

4. Right clicked an InDesign file > properties > change > selected Adobe Indesign 2024 and applied (icons still blank)

5. Checked file associations in settings again and it now showed .INDD was associated with InDesign (but icons still blank)

6. Restarted 'Windows explorer' in Task manager

7. Opened Windows explorer again and icons now showed InDesign icon normally

Hopefully this helps someone down the line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines