Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Indesign - File keeps crashing instantly

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have been working on a Indesign-file for a project at work. Yesterday it suddenly starts to crash from no where. In the beginning, I could open the file and work on it for twenty minutes until it crashed again. Now it keeps crashing as soon as I try to open the file. 

I tried to open the file on my private laptop (MAC) and the file seems to work just fine there, which is also weird..

I tried to uninstall all installed Adobe programs on my computer (work-PC) with the Adobe CleanerTool. This did actually help, at least for a while.. a couple of hours later it started to act all weird again and the file kept crashing.

I tried the same file on another PC, but that didn´t help either.. It kept crashing there as well.

- I have tried to make new copies but that didn´t work either.

- I´ve tried to update every driver and whatnot on my both PCs, it just does not work and I´m stuck here with a file that keeps crashing.

The file still works on my MAC. I´m just trying to avoid use to use it since it´s work related project hence why I need your help in this.  Any suggestions? I suspect the file is corrupted somehow but I´m not sure where to begin..

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can open the file, export it to idml and resave this idml file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you make a copy of the file and save it as an IDML document, rename it and try and open it again in InDesign. If that doesn't work divide the document in half and see if one half opens and the other doesn't, keep dividing the "bad" half until you (hopefully) isolate the issue which may be a corrupt font.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

having similar issues, just made a IDML and able to get back all my work, but then tried exporting PDF as interactive, then print... still crashing. sent reports multiply times today... this was after a text box was corrupt, everytime i tried to delete, it would crash even from old versions that had no problems and had edited text box before problems on old versions. Deleted preferences, now deleted indesign, and reinstalling. MAJOR problem, all since the 2022 update this week. i have had problems in the past, and all these steps would get me back, now i'm losing 2-3 weeks of work and MAJOR deliverable that I'm afraid i might have to recreate 44 pg magazine from scratch. please help. can we have Indesign 2021 back!?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the crashing! I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @Derek Cross & @jmlevy worked for you? If not, I would request you to share a few more details like:

• The exact version of OS and InDesign installed on your devices.
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please package the document, including the links & fonts, and share it with us? You can share the download link here or via DM & we will take a look at it.
  • Where are the files & links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • I would request you to submit the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html).
    While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines