• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign font changes size when published...need advice

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Merriwether 12 pt type with 14 pt leading for my book. When I got the proof from Amazon KDP, the type was large, like 14 or 16 pt. I had to male a PDF from Indesign document but I'm not sure if that is the problem. Does anyone know what happened?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

How do you know it's 14pt? 

12pt is quite large. 

If it's 12pt in your document then it's 12 pt in print - unless the printed piece was scaled up in size which would account for the difference in size.

It's quite a 'large' font - here it is alongside Arial 12pt

EugeneTyson_0-1678814866479.png

As you can see 12pt Merriwehter font alongside another font at 12pt is quite large.

For a printed piece I wouldn't use 12pt for any body text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Well, to be fair, InDesign only did what you told it to do. 🙂

Did you not print out any pages before you sent it to KDP?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know it's 14pt? 

12pt is quite large. 

If it's 12pt in your document then it's 12 pt in print - unless the printed piece was scaled up in size which would account for the difference in size.

It's quite a 'large' font - here it is alongside Arial 12pt

EugeneTyson_0-1678814866479.png

As you can see 12pt Merriwehter font alongside another font at 12pt is quite large.

For a printed piece I wouldn't use 12pt for any body text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene, good question. I don't know if it's 14 pt. I used to have one of those clear pt size charts where you could lay it on top of type t determine the size. But your eaxample was revealing: Merriwhether is a heavier font but I liked the thickness of it. So It looks bigger than Arial 12 pt. Most revealing is "I wouldn't use 12pt for any body text". I thought that 12pt was the standard body tesxr for books, mags, etc.. I wish I had known this before I made a 153 book! I put a quarter on the printed page of the proof of the book so you can see my "12pt" Merriweather...which is too large and the leading is also way too big (14 pt).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12pt is quite large for body text.

The right font size is something that suits the content - you don't want it too small it can't be read. or too big that it looks childish - unless you're going for childrens' market - or perhaps visually impaired (where the visually impaired market would have guidelines).

Depends on what the content is and if that font size suits.

Typically you want about 60-80 characters per line for readability in a typical book. 

Hard to know what way this is going to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked the heavier font because it's an art book/memoir with lots of images and copy. I wanted the body text to feel artsy. I will see if I can get a word amount per line in Indesign or I will just count them. But it's a good tip for a first time book maker. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the page layouts from KDP match those of your PDF? The font size can't have changed without changes to the text flow and pagination.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes James, KDP layout matches the PDF. So you're onto the problem...it's not KDP or PDF...it's Indesign. Somehow, my 12 pt Merriweather needs to be change to at least 10 pt to accommodate the large type face. As Eugene above said, it is too big of a pt size. It looks fine as an E book but the physical book proof looks like a Dr Seuss book (not that there's anything wrong with his books - my audience isn't gtrade school kids). Do you think I need to do the book over in 8 or 10 pt Merriwether and sned a couple chapters into KDP to see actual proofs before revising the whole book? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd do a few sample pages and ask a local printers to print them off for you - might cost a minimal amount - but it would be worth it.

If only to check the type size is suitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to be fair, InDesign only did what you told it to do. 🙂

Did you not print out any pages before you sent it to KDP?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't print out a page myself so I feel very foolish now. I thought maybe there would be some kind of difference between KDP and what I would print out. But now that you've brought that up I will do that. Pretty stupid of me not to do that but I'm an artist (a good excuse?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you guys were right. Indesign just did what I told it to do. It's a fantastic program and I hope to get better at using it. This is a great forum and I appreciate the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I changed the font size to 10 point and it looks great. I also reduced the size of my book and Indesign changed everything for me. All I had to do was tweak the images to fit right in the new size and it came out really nice in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines