• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign footnotes not hyperlinked in Interactive PDF

Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered today that my footnotes are not coming out as clickable hyperlinks in my exported (Interactive) PDF while my endnotes are hyperlinks. I'm using the latest version. I tried an older version but got the same results. Has this always been the case and is there a workaround besides manually adding hyperlinks, perhaps a script? Isn't a hyperlinked footnote best for accessibility? Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

I researched further. I believe that footnotes don't automatically create hyperlinks (obviously, I hadn't tested this before).

I found a script by Peter Kahlel that allows you to create hyperlinks:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes_hyperlinks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF reader application are you using to test the hyperlinks? When you say you're using the "latest version," do you mean InDesign 2020 (15.0.2)? What operating system are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I researched further. I believe that footnotes don't automatically create hyperlinks (obviously, I hadn't tested this before).

I found a script by Peter Kahlel that allows you to create hyperlinks:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes_hyperlinks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve.

I did use Peter's script and it works nicely, although I am not sure that the proper accessibility tags are embedded. (My client for this document is blind.) I hesitated to use it because I just thought it should be a feature and I swear I have done this successfully in the past. Should have known better since Peter had to write a script to do it. Thank you for taking the time to reply and research this for me.

PS. InDesign 2020 and MacOS Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also swear it's worked for me automatically in the past (at least 5 years ago). I slso think it should be an automated feature when exporting PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get this script to work. I've tried everything I can think of. I've downloaded the script, and installed in the scripts folder according to that links directions. But nothing happens. It keeps linking the endnotes to the start of the book. I'm running the latest version of CC. Any tips? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines