Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign fractions not always showing as fractions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

megang28207539_0-1667336194741.png

Why in the image above did it show as a fraction for some but not the other measurement? If I highlight the large 1/4 and mouse over the opentype fraction shows up so I can click on it and change but it doesn't do it automatically like the others. Is this a setting? Or a glitch? 

Font: Arial

Opentype Fraction turned OFF. When I turn it on ALL numbers look like fractions.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

OpenType Fractions are meant to be applied only to selected text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

What version of InDesign? I use this feature and haven't run across this issue. I just tried it in the text frame below and it worked as expected. Do be sure that you only highlight the numbers and not the leading or trailing space. 

If the ingredients are not in a threaded frame, you can also use the O (OpenType) icon at the bottom of a standalone frame to change all at once. 

2022-11-01_19-05-18 (2).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenType Fractions are meant to be applied only to selected text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? I use this feature and haven't run across this issue. I just tried it in the text frame below and it worked as expected. Do be sure that you only highlight the numbers and not the leading or trailing space. 

If the ingredients are not in a threaded frame, you can also use the O (OpenType) icon at the bottom of a standalone frame to change all at once. 

2022-11-01_19-05-18 (2).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the option is turned on in the paragraph style

EugeneTyson_0-1667378075096.png

@Barb Binder Barb makes a good point about clicking the fractions in the adornment on the text frame - however, this needs to be clicked each time a fraction is added.

Adding the Fraction to the paragraph style would automate the fractions going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nooooo. You cannot add fractions to the paragrah style unless the ONLY  numbers that will appear are fractions. Neither can you use the adornment if your text contains a date like 11/02.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always a caveat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines