• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign freezes constantly unless wifi turned off

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve had a problem for a while now when using Adobe InDesign on my MacBook Pro. The program hangs up or freezes (spinning beach ball) for several seconds at a time no matter what I’m doing — sometimes the simplest thing. These freezes can last 5 seconds or 60 seconds, but usually the program doesn’t crash entirely. The only thing that fixes the problem is to turn off wifi. Then things hum along perfectly.

I’ve spoken to Adobe support. They tell me the problem is that my files are in a sync folder for Dropbox or OneDrive. So I take my files out of the sync folders, but the problem persists. Once they told me my wifi wasn’t fast enough — but I think it’s plenty fast (not sure how to check) and I don’t have any issues with other programs. Even video editing works fine. But like I said, disconnecting from wifi fixes the problem, so maybe there’s something to this. One time they said the problem was with my system. 

I’ve reset the preferences, I’ve tried a bunch of stuff to “make InDesign fun faster” that I’ve read in articles. Nothing works. This is my main program and it’s really hurting my productivity. 

Any ideas?

macOS Big Sur version 11.6

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Adobe InDesign 17.0.1

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this a private or corporate/business setup you work with?
sometimes Security/firewall settings can cause this kind of problems too…

When in another Network/Wifi the Problem still shows up?

When using Indesign with another (temporary) user on the same Macbook, the problem still shows up?

I have more or less the same setup but can't confirm these issues… sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem on Windows 10 pro. Solution was disable wifi and connect internet via usb cable lan card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with InDesign freezing constantly but it only happens when I'm working at our office.

In the office, I'm connected to our network via USB 10/100/1000 LAN and I have WiFi turned off. 

When I work remotely from home I'm on VPN and using WiFi and InDesign works just fine, with no issues. 

InDesign hangs up or freezes (spinning beach ball) and never goes away. I have to force quit. I will be able to move a photo or make a copy edit and then the beach ball comes up, no matter what I’m doing, even on the simplest thing. Doesn't matter the file either. 

I've tried all the things I've seen on support pages, from turning WiFi off, reinstall InDesign, etc. and none of it works. 

I’ve had this problem for over a year now and still can't get it figured out. I think every time there is an update that it will work but it doesn't.

I'm desperate to find a solution because I need to be able to work out of the office. InDesign is my main program and it’s hurting my productivity.  My IT departement can't seem to find an answer. They turned off the security software on the Mac and that didn't help.  

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13-in M1 2020 CHp Apple M1 memory 16 GB. OS Monterey 12.6 and Indesign 18. 

If someone could please tell me what the difference is between office and home I would really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Apple M1 Macbook Pro 2021 on Sonoma 14.3.1, except none of my coworkers have this issue (working on a variety of other machines and OS). It also exclusively happens when I'm trying to access fonts while connected to wifi. I've tried it on InDesign 19.2 and 19.3, as well as Illustrator, and the Creative Cloud app is incredibly slow while connected to this wifi network. I've uninstalled and reinstalled CC and ID, rebooted my computer in Safety Mode with no luck. It happens on established documents that are stored in the cloud, established docs stored locally, and new files. 

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, 

Sorry for the trouble. Would you mind creating a new admin user account and trying to open InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop only? Let us know if that helps. Please check this page to create a new admin user account: https://adobe.ly/3wB2Ows.

We will try our best to investigate further. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines