Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Freezes On Launch Windows 10

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Since version 16.4, my InDesign has been freezing when it launches.  The initial launcher will load but when InDesign opens the entire application freezes and I have to force quit it. 

I've tried clearing the preferences on startup, rolling back to version 16.4 and 17.0, updating Windows 10, updating all drivers on my computer, uninstalling and re-installing InDesign, and uninstalling and clearing the cache files for InDesign then re-installing.

I have yet to get InDesign working - but all other Adobe apps work fine on my pc, any help will be appreciated!

Thank you! 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek! I have 16GB RAM with 50% utilized consistantly - 50% free.  I have at least 300GB free on my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I double check that you reset your InDesign preferences like this:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is how I reset my preferences.  I just reset them again following those steps and it still freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have third party app installed, such as a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not, there are no plugins installed either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe you should uninstall InDesign using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to remove all vestiges of the application before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did also try that - I ment to say using the Adobe Cleaner Tool with this sentance: "uninstalling and clearing the cache files for InDesign then re-installing."

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you have something wrong somewhere, assuming your graphics card is OK (have you tried unticking GPU in preferences), maybe it's time to contact Adobe support directly to take over your computer and see what's going on.

Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines