• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign freezing in and related issues

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Indesign CS under Catalina 10.15.7.

Since a couple of months it freezes in regularly. It also refuses to start again (... doesn't react). And to make things worse it even blocks the shutdown or newstart of my. iMac (2013) needs a manual switch off every time. 

Is this a typo or driver or configuration issue?

Thanks for any helpful hint.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

When you reset your preferences by QUICKLY holding down  CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X), did a dialogue appear asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files and you clicked "Yes"? If you didn't see the question I suggest you do it again.

If you have the correct system specs and resetting the preferences didn't resolve the issue, maybe the best thing to try next is to uninstall InDesign using the Adobe Cleaner Tool and them reinstalling it: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the helpful suggestions shared earlier, you may try the troubleshooting steps suggested in this community post.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe InDesign CS6 will not run under Catalina, maybe it's time to upgrade the application (or downgrade the OS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say InDesign CS. CS what? Or, did you mean to say InDesign CC and forget to give us the actual version.

We need full details or we can't help. But note that Derek is correct about CS6 (or any other CS version). It is completely unsupported under anything later than 10.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're both right. I meant CC. I only updated indesign today. Same issues though 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, to be clear...InDesign 2021 16.4 which is the current version? I will tell you this...it is virtually impossible for an applicate to freeze or interfere with the operating system. It sounds like you have some serious system issues.

How much RAM do you have in that machine? Anything less than 16GB is going be troublesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I still have 60% of 1TB HD left. And yes – I deleted the preferences via shift/ctrl/alt/cmd during starting indesign.

Thanks for caring!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reset your preferences by QUICKLY holding down  CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X), did a dialogue appear asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files and you clicked "Yes"? If you didn't see the question I suggest you do it again.

If you have the correct system specs and resetting the preferences didn't resolve the issue, maybe the best thing to try next is to uninstall InDesign using the Adobe Cleaner Tool and them reinstalling it: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the preferences did work correctly. Now I'll have to see, whether anything changes for the better. If not I'll go ahead as you suggested. Thank you so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the helpful suggestions shared earlier, you may try the troubleshooting steps suggested in this community post.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines