• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign: How to find out the special effects being used in existing type

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goal: To make the type over a photo really clear to read (instead of only so-so readable).

I have an existing type box that was created by someone else and I'm trying to duplicate the effects of the type/text in this box. But I can't determine which effect was used. Nor can I adjust the effect--make it darker or lighter. Each character (which is white or no color) is surrounded by a halo of grey. This effect makes the type easier to read when layered over a photo--the photo is darkened somewhat but is still readable, but the type is somehow more readable/clear/prominent. It is NOT on the effects menu, so it is not a drop shadow, inner shadow, outer glow, inner glow, bevel and emboss, satin, etc. What is the effect? Very puzzled. See example below:

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 11.43.34 AM.png

 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of options come to mind. 

1) If the text frame was pasted inside an image frame, the effect would not show when the image frame was selected; you would have to use the Direct Select tool to grab just the text frame in order to see the effect on the menu.

2) If the text frame was part of a group, you would not see the effect when selecting the whole group; again you would have to Direct Select only the text frame. 

If it is neither of those, then could you share the problem file  (or a file containing only the problem text frame) via dropbox or some other file-sharing platform so that people here could examine it more closely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either an adjusted drop shadow or an Outer glow. Select the text frame with the Selection tool ('black arrow') and check the Transparency window. Remember: effects are applied on a Text frame, not on selected text. In the Transparency window you will see a little fx icon: you can click on that icon and drag it to another Text frame to copy the effect. If that does not work take the advice from SJRiegel's post (added while I was posting mine 😉  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached a sample of this graphic. What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached an ID file with two samples of this phenomena; the first example is the original template given to me from a graphic designer; the second is my attempt to make type read really well over an image of an historic clock. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text frame and you'll see the fx icon in the effect panel. Double click it to edit the effect. You can also drag that icon to the new object to apply the exact same effect.

2022-03-11_13-35-04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is the first instance that I suspected - the text frame is pasted inside a graphic frame. The graphic frame does not show the effect, but the text frame does. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.52.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines