Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign how to make hyperliks with automated page number in it

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've got a problem with hyperlinks in Indesign. Each page of my book has a text (which I want to be a hyperlink in ebook) to a video that references its page number, but when I try to convert it to hyperlinks Indesign omits page number and makes hyperlinks without the page number. Do any of you know how to fix this? I have attached a screenshot for a better understanding of the problem.

links_problem.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dzien Dobry, Lukasz,

Conceptually, reflowable ebooks don't have physical pages and so don't have physical page numbers.

You show a PDF, which is not an ebook. What exact kind of ebook are you trying to make?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not be reflowable, it needs to have a fixed layout and it is a physical book in the first place. I just want to make an ebook out of it to give customers a choice. It is a guide on how to play an instrument for beginners, and every song has a video recording with the guide how to play that relates to page in the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use cross references. You find them in the type menu and in Window > Type & Tables. They are interactive. In my experience, with EPUB 3.0 it shows with my EPUB browsers the page number with even liquid layout correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my hyperlink refers to the outside URL address not some place in the book. Can I do it with cross references? It needs to be automated as well as I have 20+ books like this with different links to videos and doing it manually is very time consuming and prone to mistakes. I tried to do this with cross reference on parent page but it did not work correctly, can be I did it wrong as I have never used them before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't link to page numbers in an e-doc, even if it has fixed pagination. Link to the title or header paragraph, or other content.

Fundamentally, readers don't care about Page 24. They're looking for what's on page 24.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page numbers refer to pages in the physical book, not an ebook, hyperlinks take the reader outside the book to my website where videos are posted... It has nothing to do with the content of the ebook. I just need Indesign to make hyperlinks from already made text, why it omits page number in hyperlink? That's my only question and problem, everything else is well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... what do the page numbers have to do with any of this linking process then? So that e-book users can find the same content in the printed book? (Even with experience with sheet music etc., that seems a bit complicated and convoluted.) Hyperlinks for navigation are by design and necessity independent of physical page numbers, since content could move to any page with editing and reformatting. They are, as I suggested, linked to the actual content — chapter or piece title, for example — rather than to the (ephemeral) page that content is on.

It may be possible to find a combination of ID features that would capture the print page number as part of the hyperlink, but my thought is that (if you insist on having this linkage), make the page numbering a static element in the document, and don't rely on the print layout's automatic page numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used page numbers in hyperlinks because it lets me automate the process of making websites and videos for the content in the book, it's resistant to mistakes, hyperlinks are short and easy to type when you use a physical book. Every song in my book has a video recording with the correct performance of the song which is posted on my website and link to this video is placed on the corresponding page in the book. It makes my and user's life easier because all links are the same just page number is changing so it is easy to navigate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. It seems like using titles would be just as easy and intuitive, maybe more so, but it's your project.

A general rule to keep in mind: print, online and e-book are three completely different media. Trying to make one follow the rules for another — including using fixed pages for EPUB — is often a poor choice leading to both technical hurdles and a less than optimal result. Use the strengths of each medium and avoid its weaknesses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

titles as very long sometimes, what is easier to type? playinoneday.com/HTcarols/#20 or playinoneday.com/HTcarols/#angelsfromtherealmsofglory ? And how do I make titles appear automatically in the link? page number I just use special character on parent page and all links are sorted for the whole book. We have over 20 books now and doing it manually would take ages. So do you know any way to export interactive pdf that Indesign includes page number in the URL? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I do not really want to make it a static element, because content changes from version to version, we add, remove songs or different content from the book, we make translations to different languages as well so it needs to be automatic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, linking by the title is simple, well supported by InDesign, and compatible with a print TOC, an EPUB TOC and linking, and (if useful) to HTML export linking. IMVHO, it's also intuitive for reader/users.

If page numbers + automatic generation + propagation across the various formats is your goal, though, it's going to take some creative implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so let's say we change or marking from pages to section markers and instead of pages our hyperlinks will contain section numbers. It is consistent with your advice how hyperlinks should be made. Now how do I make Indesign to attach this section marker to my hyperlink when exporting to interactive pdf? Because it doesn't matter what  marker I use it omits it while exporting leaving me with an unusable hyperlink link like playinoneday.com/HTcarols/# instead of playinoneday.com/HTcarols/#20? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Link text is not usually meant to convey reader content; it is technical content meant to be invisible to the reader and associated with human-readable text, an image (button), etc. (That is, I can't think of an example in HTML or EPUB where a single element carries both the connection information and the readable information.) It's on the designer to create and 'connect' both. Trying to make it a one-pass dynamic element compounds the problem.

I think you may be trying to combine two different functions in one feature/asset, and without seeing your overall document, I can't really say if your approach is valid or what a better one might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you making a PDF or a fixed-layout epub? Or something else? Proszę bardzo konkretnie.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end, it will be a fixed layout epub. But I export it as an interactive pdf and hyperlinks don't contain page number which is a only issue I have. It does not matter what format it will be if Indesign makes incorrect hyperlinks, does it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Willi suggests, try using cross-references (a form of hyperlink); not just the hyperlinks panel.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with cross references without success. I have everything I want, the text is correct I do not want to change it in any way, just want Indesign to make the correct hyperlink from it. playinoneday.com/ELNcarols/#24 where 24 is the page number instead of playinoneday.com/ELNcarols/# why does it omit page number when creating hyperlinks? this is my only question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Cross-References panel menu button flyout > Hyperlink Destination Options, did you choose URL or Page?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see any url option in this panel but why would I use cross references in the first place if I do not want my hyperlinks to change in any case, they have to be fixed to the page number in a physical book. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines