• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign is having difficulty reading some unsaved changes in xxxx.indd. It may damage the file.

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using version 16.4 of Indesign and every file I open and try to make edits to I get this error message. Its becoming quite annoying. Is there a fix out there for it yet? It seems there were no fixes given other than resave the file which you shouldn't have to do that with every file you make edits to. I have also attached a screenshot. Please help!

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.24.37 PM.png

 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried most of these. I even tried deleting older versions of Indesign on my hard drive. I can't find the cache folder or the defaults folder. I have an imac 40GB running macOS Big Sur version 11.4

Here is the folder location for the InDesign Defaults:

macOS: Home > Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 16 > en_US > InDesign Defaults

Here is the folder location for the InDesign SavedData:

macOS: Home > Library > Caches > Adobe InDesign > Version 16 > en_US >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot save as INDD try following:

• Save as copy

If that does not help:

• Save or export as IDML, open that and save as new INDD, check if something has changed, because of some file problems unwanted changes can be caused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Resetting preferences of the app should help, as suggested by Mike.

Are these files saved on a network drive? If yes, what happens when you move them on the local drive? This information would help us assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they are saved locally to my hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has this been resolved for you? Every single time I edit a file I get the same message which makes InDesign unusable. I save a repaired, recovered file and try to make the edit and get the same message again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines