• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign - Is it possible to create automatic hyperlinks?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

I am creating a very large academic document (book format) and it is mandatory that all images are numbered in order to find them in the image authorship list which is at the end of the document. This part is already done and automated.
I have to deliver the document in PDF and to make it more dynamic I have added bookmarks and hyperlinks. While doing this, I wondered if I could create an automatic hyperlink to take you to where the authorship is when you click on any of the image numbering.
Maybe it's important to say: in the image authorship area you can select the image number and it takes you to the page where it is. What I want to achieve is to make it work the inverse way as well.
All the numbering is created in an expeficic paragraph style, but with no character style.
Is it possible to make this automatic? Without having to create links one at a time? There are 256 images and I don't think it's worth doing it manually.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be achieved by scripting. But a custom script should be developed for each particular case.
I don't think it makes sense for only 256 links. Here I posted 3 examples illustrating the approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I'll take a look at it!
I've never really done any scripting in Indesign, but maybe with a bit of patience I'll manage it hahaha
Seeing your post it's clear that my project is much smaller than yours.
Just one question: do you think that instead of clicking on the numbering of the image and taking you to the individual authorship, it would be easier if it only takes you to the beginning of the authorship section? It's three authorship pages, it's not ideal, but it's not complicated to look it up if you get to that section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you never wrote scripts, I don’t think you will be able to do it. For me, it took years to learn.

Basically, the script, using a character/paragraph style and/or a GREP expression, finds the source text and the destination text, inserts a text anchor (for the destination), and makes a hyperlink from them. I can’t give you more specific advice without having the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines