Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign javascript to add the Hyperlink alternate text for accessibility

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using the InDesign cc 2020 and 2022 versions. I need the InDesign Javascript object to add the alternate text for the hyperlinks. URL.png

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That property is not accessible via the InDesign scripting DOM, unfortunately. If you add it as a request via https://indesign.uservoice.com/ I will gladly upvote it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that this particular use might be a controversial use of ALT text (though it's often required when the link is on an image). If you consider ALT text from the point of view of accessibility (rather than SEO or presentation), then what you've done is provided the user who needs accessibility (because they can't read the words on screen) with a simplified view of things - if the original text best said "www.google.com" then the user who needs accessibility is given a different, simplified, view - which also doesn't make grammatical sense. On the other hand, if the person who doesn't need accessibiltiy would benefit from this info, then they should be offered it. Also for accessibiltity, the person listening to a screen reader doesn't want to sit through things like "this is a picture of a leopard", they just want "picture of a leopard" - "this is" is going to get old very quickly. They might need more info like "picture of a leopard stalking". If in doubt, try to access your own content via a screen reader. I may be quite wrong so I'd welcome other insights...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted the sample URL as google.com. If the document contains the URL of a reference PDF link, I hope the alternate text should describe the short note about the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worse. The Alt Text gets lost if you export to IDML. Vote for fixing this:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42235630-hyperlink-acce...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

you could also support my bug report from 2019 in the bug section of InDesign UserVoice:

[15.0.0.155] New property Alternate Text for Hyperlinks is not supported by Scripting, IDMS and IDML
Uwe Laubender, Nov 21, 2019
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/913162-adobe-indesign-sdk-scripting-bugs-and-features/suggesti...

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines