• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Jump List Non-Functional: Showing Incorrect Icons for Recent Files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My IT department is trying to fix this for me, but I figured I'd reach out here too since it's been troublesome to troubleshoot.

I have InDesign pinned to my Windows taskbar, and I often right-click on the pinned program to pull up the Jump List and look at recent documents to be able to open things quickly. Over the last few weeks, the Jump List has been completely non-functional. When I bring up the Jump List, IDDs display blank icons and recently exported PDFs display an InDesign icon. When I click on IDDs, it tells me the file has been moved or deleted and doesn't try to open InDesign, and when I click PDFs, it launches InDesign and then tells me InDesign can't open the file type.

Here are things I've examined/done so far:

1. IDD and PDF icons display and function properly everywhere other than the InDesign Jump List

2. InDesign is the default program for IDDs and Acrobat is the default program for PDFs

3. No other program Jump Lists are giving me this issue, including Acrobat

4. Toggled "Show Recently Opened Items in Jump Lists" off and on again

5. Uninstalled/reinstalled InDesign

6. Updated Windows 10

7. Created a new IDD from scratch to test whether this was an issue with using older IDD files

Any more ideas?? 

InDesign Version: 16.1 x64

Windows 10 Enterprise OS Build: 19042.928, Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you indicate if the files are saved locally, on a network or in a cloud service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all three. It happens with files I save locally on my desktop, in OneDrive, and ones that are on my company's network, which I access via VPN from home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I had both In Design 2020 and 2021 installed, so I uninstalled 2020 and now Windows thinks my InDesign files are Acrobat files. UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 16.2.1. Same problem. Anyone have any more ideas? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Edie14 It's working for me on Windows 10 with 16.2.1. Have you tried to toggle the Show recently open items in Jump list in Windows settings? The other idea is to reset InDesign as your always preference for opening .indd files. From Windows Explorer, right click on any .indd file. Choose "open with" and if needed, scroll to More apps and select the correct version of InDesign installed on your system. Let us know how it goes!

JainLemos_1-1625586738414.png

JainLemos_0-1625586535001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jain! Thanks for replying. My original post stated that I already tried both of those things, along with some other steps. Any other ideas? haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Edie14 Okay, I still can't duplicate the problem you are having with the jump lists. It's working right on my Windows 10 system. I'm wondering if you have updated to the latest version of InDesign? Your July post says you had the same problem with 16.2.1. There is a new version since then (16.3) and another version (16.4) is rolling out now and it should be everywhere soon. I hope one of these updates will solve the issue for you. If not, please let us know and we can see if there are some other troubleshooting things to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem has persisted through numerous versions of the program, unfortunately. I always try to keep my version updated, currently on 16.4 and it's still happening. I might suggest that I just do a full uninstall/reinstall of all my Adobe products including CC, as thus far I've only tried that with just InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Edie14,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This is not typical behavior as you have tried all the steps suggested by @J E L and uninstalled & reinstalled CC completely. This could happen due to a corrupt windows registry or system files. I know it's extreme, but you may try reinstalling the Windows 10 latest build and see if that helps. If that doesn't help you, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Checking in after upgrading to 17.0. Now, things are mostly fixed. 

- InDesign jumplist is no longer showing PDFs

- I can open InDesign files from the jumplist with no errors/issues

The only thing that's still screwy is that all InDesign files have blank icons, both in the jumplist and everywhere else on my computer. I have set InDesign 2022 as my default program and no other ID versions are present on my computer. So basically, I have all regular functionality back but there is a consistent visual bug. I think I can live with it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eddie, glad to hear that issue is resolved now. For your icon not visible issue, if you want to get the Indesign icon back, you need to uninstall InDesign using the CC cleaner tool. Restart PC (most Important), then re-install InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. This should fix the issue. I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anshul! I uninstalled InDesign, restarted my computer, and reinstalled. Still having the visual bug issue, even after making sure InDesign is the default program, restarting my computer again, and opening/closing a few documents. I'm wondering if I just need to do a reformatting of my whole computer since it's been a year or two since I last did that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for trying that. I would suggest you to try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Press Window/ Start Button + R
  • Type - regedit > press enter
  • Go to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\FileExts\
  • Locate .idml & .indd > OpenWithList
  • Make sure Name "b" & Data "InDesign.exe" values are correctly inserted in both the file extension registry settings.
  • Restart Windows

Anshul_Saini_0-1638465552786.png

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines