Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

InDesign keeps crashing

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like its a know bug Adobe? None of the suggested fixes here have worked for me. Crashes on start up across multiple files, or will crash when trying to delete pages. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of InDesign? OS?

Without basic information nobody can help you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 11.5.2

InDesign, crashing on startup, i cant check the version number, but CC tells me its up to date

Was working yesterday and I have not udated any software or added anythgin since then.

thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have you tried the regular troubleshooting—cleared your ID caches, reset preferences, disabled any third party plugins, Save As IDML? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset prefernces on startup, no third party plugins, saved as IDML and no luck. Have not tried clearing ID cahce, not sure how to do that, haveb't found any details here as to how to do that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of InDesign is 16.4 (you can find your version under InDesign > About InDesign).

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have on your system?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign 16.3.2.  But my Creative Cloud app tells me the InDesign is up to date, has the green circle and no option to update it here.

32 GB ram, 145 GB free disk space

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer version is being rolled out.

In the meantime, have you tried using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall InDesign and reinstall it again?
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try a manual reset of both—delete thes folders and restart InDesign:

Prefs:

macOS: user > Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version X 

Windows 10: Users > UserName > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > InDesign > Version X 

Caches:

macOS: user > Library > Caches > Adobe InDesign > Version X

Windows 10: Users > AppData > Local > Adobe > InDesign > Version X

Also try restarting your machine and running ID with no other applications running—it’s been reported that browser plugins can sometimes interfere.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you see this crash while working on some specific files(probably saved on same location)? if yes, please check if you have proper permissions to modify the file.

Additionaly, I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps suggested on this community post & let us know if they help to improve the performance of the app.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the suggestions. Nothing seemd to help, so I ended up remaking the file. It must have been corrupted? But INDesign seems to be working again. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines