• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign keeps on crashing and the spinning wheel keeps spinning. I'm about to lose my mind!

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a brand new iMac because I kept getting the spinning wheel so thought I should upgrade. Now it's worse! InDesign crashes when using command D to place files or for absolutely no reason. This happens multiple times a day. I'm on CC so all my programs are up to date. There are problems with Acrobat and Photoshop also. I feel like there is some hidden problem with the CC apps that is causing this. I CAN'T WORK!!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Indesign 2021 now. I've tried using 2022 but it is no better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I placed pdf's on a magazine file just before posting this and it crashed so that's one reason I posted. Now I have re-opened the file and all the pdf's are un-linked. I haven't moved ANYTHING! What is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to reset preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys until you see a warning message asking for confirmation.

BTW, I see that you have only 8 GB of RAM. It's a little bit short to work efficientely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having similar problems and just reset preferences and crashing making PDF, i had a text box that got corrupted before that and went to older file. i CANNOT work either. lost everything for the last 5 days. and, now think i have to start a 44 pg magazine over from scratch! this last update removed my 2021 version and removed everything without even letting me know was happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset preferences yesterday and this moring the first thing I opened (with no other program open) is spinny wheeling AGAIN! I uninstalled the 2022 version of InDesign in case it was causing conflict. I did try to use it to see if it would help but it didn't. Does the same thing. InDesign crashing on the regular. This is making it almost imposible for me to work. I don't know what to do now. This is a brand new iMac and if 8 gigs of memory isn't enough then what is? That should be plenty of memory to work on one thing at a time. I don't have multiple programs open. I'm hating Adobe more and more every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had to force quit AGAIN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have InDesign 2021 or 2022 you really need at least 16GB of RAM (more would be better) and lots of spare hard disk capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign crashed on me several times this morning and still isn't working. Adobe support tried to tell me it was because I'm working from the server, which I always do. I haven't had any problems until today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have sufficient system specs and resetting the preferences hasn't resolved the issue, I suggest you use the Adobe Cleaner Tool to remove the application (and any old versions you may have) and reisntall InDesign again. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm on a mac with 16 mb RAM... what my solution was - REMOVE InDESIGN 2022!!! And, I had to go back to my file from Thursday, Nov 4th the last time opened in InDesign 2021 and had to redo all my work for the week. Saved about 8 versions to see if had any crashes and was fine the entire time. SCRAP InDESIGN 2022, never had so many problems with software that could not be remedied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already, change your CC app preferences so the software does not uninstall previous version. Then, don't use a "dot-ohh" version of any software or real work until at least one or two updates have been released. 

(I read that a 17.01 update was released this morning, but it hasn't shown up on my CC app yet.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

Sorry about the crashings & Spinning wheel. I would suggest you all to update to v17.0.1 (now released globally) and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, I would request you to share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are the files and links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Submit the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html).
    While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.
  • Please check if turning off the internet help resolve the issue?
  • Are you using TimeMachine? If yes, please check if turning it off/ disabling it help resolve the issue?
  • Please check if turning off preflight  (Window > Output > Preflight > Deselect the checkbox) help resolve the issue?
         Anshul_Saini_0-1637269586956.png
  • Please try different Display options (View > Display Performance) in InDesign. I recommended working on Typical Display.
  • Please try turning off GPU performance from InDesign preferences (cmd + k > GPU Performance > uncheck GPU Performance and see if that helps?

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not using time machine

Using both InDesign 2022 and 2021 back and forth depending on which one will work

I am working off a server/hard drive that is accessed via wifi so can't turn off the internet

Turned off preflight but no help

Using Typical Display for all work

Turned off GPU performance

Please see screenshots for system info 

Using latest version of InDesign 2022 when I use that version. I'm also using InDesign 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines