• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign keeps searching for 164 linked files...there are only 17 linked images. Opening takes ages!

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file that I use as a base. But when it opens Indesign starts searching for 164 linked files. That takes a lot of time. The thing is, that there are just 17 linked images in that file. Why does Indesign searches for those files and where can I see the links? I have no error message once its opened. I tried to unlink all images, but it doesn't help. What can I do?

Thanks

2021-12-23 08_open_file_search_linked_images.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as IDML.

Open the IDML.

Save the IDML as INDD on the same place.
Is the problem still a problem?

Look into the Link Panel. Are images embedded? Avoid this.

If that does not help: create a new document with the same paper size, same baseline grid, no styles (paragraph, character, table, cell, object) and 2 initial pages. In the old document: Menu > Layout > Move pages … (all) to the new document. Delete the 2 initial pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Luk,

could you run the following ExtendScript (JavaScript) code on the open document that will alert the number items in the Links panel; just to rule out that your InDesign does not show all links in the document:

alert( app.documents[0].links.length );

Copy the code to a text file without formatting, save with the file extension *.jsx, place it in the User folder of the InDesign Scripts panel. You can open that User folder in the file system by using the menu command "Reveal in Finder" when you selected the User folder in the Scripts panel.

More details on this:

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

https://www.danrodney.com/scripts/directions-installingscripts.html

Another question:

Are there any hyperlinks to pages in external InDesign documents?

Check your Hyperlinks panel for that.

And ( speculative 😞

Open the Structure panel that is showing a possible XML structure that could contain any entries regarding images.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines