Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign: Linked Illustrator files moving after saving

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an Indesign doc with a linked Illustraor files with multiple artboards. Each artbord has been placed in the ID file and the artboards haven't been resized. Periodically, after editing the AI file and relinking it in Indesign, the links move meaning that I have to manually reposition each one. It's becoming a real pain. Does anyone know why this is happeining? Thanks in advance.

On a Mac, latest IOS (Monteray) and ID (17.0.1)

Andy

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

You can very likely fix this by changing the Crop to: preference when you first place the file.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.03.41 PM.png

In this example, I placed the sameAI file twice. Once it was set to Bounding Box, next time it was set to media. 

I made some changes to the file that altered the dimensions of the art, but left the artboard size as is. When I updated the art in the Links panel, the one set to Media maintained its size (in percentage of the original) and positon.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.07.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.07.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can very likely fix this by changing the Crop to: preference when you first place the file.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.03.41 PM.png

In this example, I placed the sameAI file twice. Once it was set to Bounding Box, next time it was set to media. 

I made some changes to the file that altered the dimensions of the art, but left the artboard size as is. When I updated the art in the Links panel, the one set to Media maintained its size (in percentage of the original) and positon.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.07.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 1.07.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the quick reply—I'll give that a try now. Hopefully the last time I'll have to touch these links!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quick Update: So far, the linked files have stayed in place so this fix seems to be working. Massive time-saver—thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines