• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign long document (print dictionary)

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone ever created a print dictionary (long doc; several hundred pages) with InDesign? I've been handed a Word doc complete with guide words in the headers. Know of any scripts that can handle that?

Thanks and best stories!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created long directories (about 800-1000 pages). What in particular are you having problems with?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I believe Peter Spier has given me the answer I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd definitely suggest looking into Wordsflow. Don't know if that's what you're considering, linking to the word doc and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I believe Peter Spier has given me the answer I need. Wordsflow sounds like something else I can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what your question is, exactly, but it sounds like you might be asking about running headers that list the first and last reference words on each spread (typically called Dictionary running heads). ID has built-in variables to do that which can be based either on a paragraph style or a character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like my answer. Off to the tutorials! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'm trying to put that kind of running headers for a dictionary we are editing, but I can only get the first entry in the header. I don't know how to tell ID to put the last one. Could you be a bit more precise? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to send you off without an answer, but this is a slightly complex topic for which a forum topic might be a bit constrained. There are many good tutorials out there; google "Indesign Running Header tutorial" and you're likely to get a thorough, organized answer a lot more quickly. Do come back if you still have questions.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll second James' suggestion, but if you've found where to designate First on Page in your Edit Text Variable dialog, you should also see Last on Page as an option in the dropdown for Use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines