InDesign Measure Tool

Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang,

I have been meaning to ask this question (for the last 22 years). It's a small thing, but...

When I use the Measure tool in InDesign, I might drag an angle or distance or protractor (Opt/Alt).

If I drag again, the Measure tool replaces the previous drag.

If I switch to any other tool except the Eyedropper tool, when I come back to the Measure tool it still shows the last use of it on the screen. The only shortcut I can find that works is pressing "I"; then "K" to reset the tool and destroy the last use of it off the screen.

My question: Why doesn't the ESC key cause the visible Measure line to disappear? Or is there a function/shortcut I am unaware?

(Like I said, it's a little thing!)

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike--I think it's intentional so one can refer back to the line again if needed. 

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I get why it could annoy you a bit, but Mr. Creamer makes a good point too.

Of course none of us can really know why. If there's something undesirable that would happen from having Esc dismiss the measure-line, I can't think of what it might be, and I agree there should be a way to expressly dismiss it if the user wants. Could be a feature request, I suppose.

As sometimes happens whan someone posts about the specifics of a feature, I realize I just about never use it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks gentlemen for your input. Making sure I wasn't missing something. Probably I just need to get out a little more often and do something other than study InDesign! 

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines