• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign no longer exporting jpegs

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign has suddenly stopped exporting jpegs and pngs.

I've tried restarting the program, restarting my computer, uninstalling & reinstalling the program and nothing has worked.

Is anyone else having this issue or can anyone help?

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Suites forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Then that is the next step.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Note that there are two ways to do this: a keyboard sequence and manually deleting the InDesign Defaults file and the InDesign SavedData. If the first one doesn't fix it, try the second one.

Please come back and let us know it that takes care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us:

1. your version of InDesign?
  2. your operating system?
  3. how, exactly, you are trying to export the jpegs and pngs and what happens when you follow those steps?

Have you deleted your preferences lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most up to date InDesign ( CC2017)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I'm trying to export a file as individual jpegs/PNG's using the "File" "Export ..." the selecting the format and export details (pages, DPI, etc.). I've used this function thousands of times and for some reason it has stopped working.  A popup message will say "Working on exporting" but the Background Tasks window shows no activity.

I have not deleted any preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then that is the next step.

Note that there are two ways to do this: a keyboard sequence and manually deleting the InDesign Defaults file and the InDesign SavedData. If the first one doesn't fix it, try the second one.

Please come back and let us know it that takes care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

My colleague Luke and I are having the same problem. I tried your work around to no avail.

It's an issue we've only experienced in the last 24 hours. Very frustrating as we are a commercial studio. I had to save my CC17 Indd file as an idml with fonts out lined to open on another colleagues copy of Cs6 to be able to export artwork for a deadline today.

Any advice on  troubleshoots would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Thea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both options provided in the trouble shooting document and neither worked.

Plus side my InDesign does seem a little faster after the reset but still no exporting or jpegs or PNG's.

Are there any other solutions you know of?

Thank you for your time Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure exporting JPEG and/or PNG is considered as background task...

With CS6, it's not! I just got a pop-up window.

Maybe it's a memory issue due to a very heavy file?

Have you tried exporting to JPEG a very basic file with one small picture and see if it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  Yes I tried several different documents (image heavy and not) and none are exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm that would have been too easy...

Another guess: do you use special characters in the file name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No kidding right! 

No special characters in any of the file names.

Should I maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling again now that I've reset all my preferences from the trouble shooting document?  I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I suppose that would be the next step...

Sorry if my question did sound daft, I can't guess how experienced you are and special characters in a JPG export is a known issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't sound daft at all - you're trying to help and that's all that matters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign again after following the steps from the troubleshooting link. It seems that the problem is now corrected.

Thank you Barb and vinny38 for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vinny38

Maybe it's a memory issue due to a very heavy file?

Have you tried exporting to JPEG a very basic file with one small picture and see if it works?

You were quite right. The failure to export to a jpg is somehow due to a heavy file — in this case a Photoshop document.

I'd been trying all afternoon to find why a simple InDesign file would export to a png but not a jpg — even with no special characters — and as soon as I reduced the Photoshop file, it worked.

Up until then I would just get a totally blank file as a jpg.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aghhhhhhh it's 2021 and this issue still exists with Adobe InDesign. It just started happening to me again with the latest Creative Cloud upgrade. Somehow the technicians still haven't figured it out. The best solution I found comes from QuarkXpress. It's best to export your file as a PDF then open the file through Photoshop as you can then control the settings better. 

Maybe the folk at Quark knew this to be a problem. I guess people never learn. However, if it happens again, don't despair. Just save it as a PDF and then let Photoshop do all the magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME! I have never experienced this problem until now. And it is very picky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... and it is the same file that I am testing. I really don't know what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having this problem and it finally fixed when I removed a new PNG file that I was using in my artwork. I think there was a faulty colour mode or something with it. Totally working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines