• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign not pasting graphics/vectors correctly

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I primarily use Affinity Designer for every project. However, Affinity doesn't have a way to add crop marks, bleeds, and color information when exporting. So, I'm stuck using Indesign for whenever I need those items.

I'm currently making a product labelling sheet for Taco Bell, and I've incorporated a vector pattern that includes different Taco Bell foods. It looks like this (in Affinity Designer):

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.04.05 PM.png

Usually, Indesign plays nice when I want to copy and paste Affinity graphics and vectors over to it. However, for some odd reason I just can't seem to figure out, I paste in the graphics and it looks awful:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.05.36 PM.png

Being a 14x20 inch document, I feel like this is going to be noticible. I then tried to copy in each graphic one at a time; first the gradient, then the pattern, then the text:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.14.34 PM.png

Keep in mind, all of the files are exporting like this too. It isn't just an issue with Indesign's Display performance (Which I have everything turned up all the way). 

I know I said I use Affinity Designer for every project (which I do), but I actually made the pattern in Illustrator (not the shapes, just the pattern). So, I tried copying and pasting the pattern inside of a box directly from Illustrator:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.04.46 PM.png

Now this one seems to look okay, but it pasted in larger than I had originally made it. And I can't just scale it down either. The icons in the pattern are too big. The box holding the pattern is the exact size it needs to be. 

I then tried to shrink the box holding the pattern in Illustrator and copy and paste that into Indesign:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.06.52 PM.png

Really Indesign?

*Sigh* I'm just lost. I have no idea what to do. This seems like quite a bit of effort just to get some properly placed crop marks and color bars.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Hi @cjc83366448:

Pasting isn't the best option. What happens when you use File > Place to place the native .ai file directly into InDesign?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cjc83366448:

Pasting isn't the best option. What happens when you use File > Place to place the native .ai file directly into InDesign?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Looks like this worked out pretty well! I exported and did a test print, and it seemed to keep the intended quality. I should've tried this method in the first place, it just swept my mind. Thanks again.

-CJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great news, CJ. Glad you are back on track.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines