• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign not viewing or PDFing images imported as .eps or .ai correctly

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just moved from inDesign 2019 on an iMac to indesign 2021 on a new Macbook Pro and I am having issues with image files as .eps or .ai format imported or dragged from a folder on an inDesign file. The images are pixelated even though they are pure vectors. I have';t had this issue before (30 years a graphic designer) and I have checked all my prefences and setting and they are the same as I have always used.

Please can anyone explain why they aren't showing in Indesign correctly and why they don't PDF correctly either. I am obviously missing something somewhere in in Design.

A screenshot is added to show how it looks the same when I've created a high res PDF too. All jpegs look great but .ai and .eps don't?!

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off "allow object level display settings" and check your links panel. Also, EPS is not a format I would choose for anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried both those and they made no change. 

The .eps file in inherited from the client I'm afraid and has printed fine on their recent documents so I'm mindful not to mess up artwork I now create by changing to .ai files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is InDesign 2021 fully updated? Is this an M1 or Intel Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it help if you place the graphic again?

Best use the menu command for this.

Also open the AI file in Illustrator to see if something happened to the original artwork.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the link status showing as Modified or Missing? EPS includes an 8-bit Tiff preview when you save, this is what its preview looks like in ID when the link status is not Normal:

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No links are modified or missing. The preflight panel has no errors. 

I have updated my inDesign through CC

I have done 'Place' from the 'File' menu and its still not viewing properly.

I have created my own .eps file and .ai file and then placed them ans they are absolutely fine??!!

So now I know it's the supplied files.

These files are direct. from the client (a desgin studio) who has used these files OK with other freelancers! So I can not change them, because we have a shared dropbox and documents are linking to these files. I'm going to have to see what can be done regarding the files.

Thanks everyone for your help. I honestly thought the new Mac/updated inDesign was causing me the issues, obviously not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to separate the AI and EPS files. Are their bad AI files as well?

How were they created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are supplie dby a design agency who use them for a large blue chip company so all I am doing is placing them in artwork I am amending or continuing the page layouts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer the question. How were they created?

And please do try Uwe's suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link Info should give you the creator application

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note: this will show the app version that last saved it, but not what version of EPS it might have been saved as. Mac Finder "Get info" sometimes shows the difference:

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 11.47.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you distill the EPS file with Acrobat Distiller to PDF what do you see in Acrobat Pro when you view the result PDF?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did these same files work fine in your old CC2019 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines