Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign not working (used to work)

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow adobe users,

I've worked with adobe and in particular indesign for some years now and since a few months I can't use indesign, illustrator & photoshop anymore (the other apps are probably also unusable). I've uninstalled and installed indesign multiple times, downloaded previous versions but nothing works and I haven't found any solution online. 
The problem: I can creat a new file and use some features but I can't click on 'file' or right click, you can see the problem in the video as well.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've  used the tool just now and it gives this error message, i followed the user guide step by step. I also can't find the log file, it isn't in the location that this tool says it should be.

Any other solution? or a solution to get this tool working properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all available versions of indesign from the adobe creative cloud and on windows 10.
RAM: 16GB

Spare disk capacity: more than enough, few hundred GB

What do you mea with the preferences? I changed them to my HDD since there isn't enough space on my SSD so that preference is different from default but the rest is untouched

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset the InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preferences are deleted now with this method but it doesn't solve the problem sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no error message, in the attached video of the first message in this thread you can see that my mouse keeps flickering between loading and normal pointer. when i click open 'file' for example, it opens that menu a fraction of a second than just closes by itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had your graphics card checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked not per se but it's a GTX 1050TI and I frequently play games which use 100% of my GPU so it is working fine for other applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unticking GPU Performance under the GPU Performance tab in InDesign Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't click open any tab in InDesign, the program keeps closing it in a fraction of a second.
I now tried something simular, I set InDesign to only run on my CPU within windows. This also didn't resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder whether the issue is something to do with not using the default SSD drive.

Have you considered removing some content from the SSD drive and see if you can install the Adobe applications there. A more drastic way forward might be to wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system and applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines