• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign—Numbering chapter and figure numbers (was "InDesign")

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to InDesign and exploring the option of autonumbering for figures. I need autonumbering for this format - Figure1.1 (first 1 is the chapter number). I set the numbering format as ^H.^#. This works absolutely fine but, I have Chapter 0 in my all books. Hence, the chapter number doesn't match the above command. I even tried the numbering level to start at 2 for chapter 1 and it doesn't solve the problem. I am looking for help here. I have attached the style options window for reference.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try 0.^#. (zero instead of ^H)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @IDUser_VC:

The key here is letting us know if all the chapters are all in one InDesign file (.indd) or are individual InDesign files that are pulled together into a book (.indb) file.

The ^H is used for the chapter number in individual files that are part of a book, otherwise use ^1. Both processes are outline here in a blog post I wrote for my students:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/

Please take a look at let us know if you have any remaining questions on how to set this up. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines