Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign over LAN vs InDesign over VPN

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!
I've been using InDesign at work over the LAN for a couple years and the application works great. We open the project file directly from the server without copying over to the local hard drive and this works great, is quick and fast. Mac OS X Monterrey on a 5K iMac. However, when I'm working from home on a 1 Gbps fiber optics Internet connection, on VPN, I'm getting a TON of spinning beachballs. I can copy the entire project to my local drive in 6 seconds. But if I open the project file on the server directly, over VPN, I will get a ton of spinning beachballs and it's impossible to work on. I'm talking about a single 6 meg JPEG on a postcard with text. It reads the JPEG and should be able to load the entire project into my 32 gigs of RAM and be quick, but it constantly haults and gives me a spinning beachball. Select some text? Spinning beachball.

Does anyone know of a setting or way to optimize InDesign to help this? Right now, I'm copying the entire project to my local drive, editing, then uploading back to the server over VPN to get work done.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I would NEVER try to work this way. It's a recipe for frustration at best and disaster at worst.

If you have to work this way talk to your IT people; you have a VPN issue, not an InDesign issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @scotw74004221 , another way to work remotely is to bypass the LAN server and use InDesign’s cloud syncing feature. Copy the entire project including placed assets into a folder inside of your work  ~user>Creative Cloud Files folder and the folder will automatically sync to the cloud and your home computer, assuming you are logged into the same CC account at home. If you are logging into a different CC account, the owner of that account can also be invited to sync to the folder.

A sync’d workflow would eliminate any latency problems, because you are always working on the sync’d local files. Just make sure you save and close all your files before switching computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines