Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Page Numbering

Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using v 17.0.1

New to Indesign and I've yet to figure this out. I'm trying to have a page number on my journal;. I have the master page (A) selected and all of the pages have the "A" on top. I create a text box on it. I go to:

Type-->Insert Special Character-->Maker__>Current Page Number

The number 1 shows up but the rest of the pages do not have a number. Might be simple but am I missing a step. I've watched a ton of videos but my pages don't seem to populate with the page numbers.

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Are the parent pages and name highlighted in blue like Barb Binder's image?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Hi @stwoods:

In both of your screen shots you are not yet on the parent pages. Compare how mine looks—name and pages highlighted in blue.

parent.png

to yours—Parent pages highlighted, but also the numbers 6–7 highlighted and not A-Parent.

parent2.png

Again, double click the A-Parent page name at the top of the Pages panel to navigate to the master/parent pages.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stwoods :

If a 1 is showing up when you choose Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number, you are on Body page 1 and not a master/parent page. (Master pages were renamed Parent pages in version 17.)

• Double click the A-Parent page name at the top of the Pages panel to navigate to the master/parent pages. When you are actually on the Parent pages, both the name and the page icons will be highlighted.
    parent.png
  • Draw a text frame with the Type tool.
  • Choose Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.
  • The letter "A" will appear at the cursor position when you are on the A-Parent.
  • Repeat this for the facing page if you are working with a double-sided document
  • When you navigate back to the Body pages, you will see a 1 on page 1, a 2 on page 2, a 3 on page 3, etc.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for responding. I did exactly as you specified, and the numbers still are showing up on subsequent settings. Is there some other setting that I need to change or review, that you can think of? Do all the pages have to be blank before I start the numbering?

I'm attaching some screenshots. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the letter A did not appear. Only the actual page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the parent pages and name highlighted in blue like Barb Binder's image?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I click A-Parent and they are both in Blue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stwoods:

In both of your screen shots you are not yet on the parent pages. Compare how mine looks—name and pages highlighted in blue.

parent.png

to yours—Parent pages highlighted, but also the numbers 6–7 highlighted and not A-Parent.

parent2.png

Again, double click the A-Parent page name at the top of the Pages panel to navigate to the master/parent pages.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your patience! I finally got it thru my thick skull. I missed that last step. I was not double clicking.

Thank you so much Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I click A-Parent and they are both in Blue!

Double click the A-Parent page name

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries! We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines