• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Place window search results not showing InDesign files

Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I have a strange issue happening on all our Macs running InDesign, when we open the Place dialog window and search for a file the results include every type of file except InDesign files.

This is driving our operators nuts, we have to search for files in the finder and then drag and drop into the Place dialog window.

We are running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and InDesign 13.1.

The files are on a Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 Server 5.6.3.

where

Any help would be appreciated to resolve this issue.

Cheers

Ant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using ID CC 2019 v14.0.1 running High Sierra 10.13.6, I was able to replicate this fault. Looks like a bug, it looks similar to this bug: Search field does not work in Open dialogue box – Adobe InDesign Feedback  but with the place dialog box rather than the open dialog box. I've just reported this as a bug and the "ticket" can be found here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/36526573-the-search-pan...

That said, I don't believe this is not a spotlight issue as the search works when trying the same thing in a normal finder window, just not while using the place dialog box. Obviously, dragging and dropping art from finder is a workaround, but the ability to show the import options (as shown in the screenshot in the opening post) is lost.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

that bug seems to be very Mac OS X specific. You also mentioned that in your bug report.

On Windows I can see all InDesign documents with filter "importable files" in my Place dialog.

About not having Import Options when dragging files to the page:

Wasn't there a script by John Hawkinson where you can change the import options after placing a document?

Ah. Found the code below. Maybe that is helpful:

Re: Toggle pages of a linked Indesign document inside Indesign?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to see all files is not available in the last two versions of Mac OS, and this might be why InDesign files that are stored on a Mac OS file share are not visible in the Place file import window.

Im going to put some InDesign file on a windows server and see if this issue is still happening. I’ll report back shortly.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to this, the same issue occurs in the search field of the File Open on file shares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anthony,

We are extremely sorry to hear about the issue. Looks like that you are placing a file through a Network/Shared drive. Please save a file on Desktop and check if you are able to see that file in Place Windows or not?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I tested using a mac to Place a InDesign file from a windows server and no InDesign files showed in the search results.

I also tested an old version of InDesign CS 5.5 and the search results work as expected from the Place window, InDesign files show in results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem running OSX Mojave 10.14.6 Indesign 2021. It looks like this problem has existed for at least 5 years. Do we have a fix or not? I did not have this problem using Indesign CS5, and the ability to search from the place or open window is important to my workflow. What am I missing? Any help is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines