Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign properties panel

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have just upgraded to InDesign 14.0 and found myself completely disabled - instead of separate small panels I open for the objects I use there is a huge inconvenient "Properties" panel which only has half the options for all the things I use and takes a lot of space having things I do not need permanently open.

How do I only open the panels I need ("character", "paragraph" etc) to have all the options I need and not have half the screen covered with this confusing useless thing? Also bring "transform" options and such back to the top of my workspace?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Hi,

the properties panel appear in a new ESSENTIALS workspace. You can choose another workspace or save your own workspace containing every panel you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi m90583877 ,

if you mean to use the legacy Control panel, you'll still find this under Windows > Control.

Like all other panels as well.

Note: There is a known bug with the Control panel in InDesign CC 2019.

You will experience a lag of about 20 seconds once per session if you switch tools to the Type tool.

That's reported for the Windows and the OS X version of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, switch to the Advanced Workspace in the workspace switcher or the Window menu, then add other panels, then save your new workspace.

The Properties panel is for beginners only, imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original question here from m90583877 was actually answered correctly by Laubender, not cinziamarotta. Selecting Control from the Windows menu puts the Properties panel back to the top of the screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the properties panel appear in a new ESSENTIALS workspace. You can choose another workspace or save your own workspace containing every panel you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!

whoever it is for it seems like a huge inconvenience - limited options, can't be collapsed partially, taking half the screenwhile being useless.. poor new users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, as has been proven in Illustrator CC and Photoshop CC (and comments I've seen in my article on InDesignSecrets.com) new users and occasional users much prefer the Essentials panel because most things they need are in one place. It will be enhanced in future versions as it has in Illustrator and Photoshop. New users often find the Control panel confusing. I know because I'm a teacher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One cannot help but wonder what the core beef is from some people here.

Aggregating various comments: "it is huge" (because it contains a lot of properties) "and incomplete" (that is, it should be larger still) "and it contains stuff that's also in other panels" (just like the Control panel does, and the menus, and hotkeys -- in fact there is a lot of duplication) but also "it does not contain all stuff from all other panels".

Some of these contradictions are in the very same post.

All the while: it is just a regular panel, like all others are. If you hate it, just close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"huge and incomplete" - there are few separate panels which do the job, why make a big uncollapsable one with half the properties randomly taken from those? I could understand if one could customise it, but when you open the program and see this instead of all the useful stuff one can not help but wonder why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an alternative, not a replacement. You can choose which you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only difference is that this Properties panel appears "visible" by default. You can still open and close all individual panels, under the Windows menu, then save your workspace as in the previous versions. That part of the interface has not changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This worked for me. Thank You! Order has been restored 🙂
Window > Workspace > Essentials Classic 👌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines