InDesign QR code ISO code standard

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tasked with creating QR codes for a client who must document the ISO standard followed when creating these QR codes. I am using the Data Merge feature in InDesign to perform VDP of decals to be used in manufacturing. Where would I find the ISO standard followed by InDesign's QR code generator?

This is very time sensitive - my client is not very patient!

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All published ISO standards are copyrighted by the ISO and can be purchased from www.ISO.org.

I do not know of one specifically for QR codes, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

—Bevi

US Delegate to the ISO committee for PDF and PDF/UA standards

Bevi Chagnon | PubCom | Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents | Books & Classes | InDesign | PDFs | Office |

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply. The ISO Standard I am asked to adhere to is ISO/!EC 18004:2006. I think it has to do with QR code's error correction capability. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

18004:2006 is what defines QR codes (not just one detail).  By definition, a working QR code follows 18004:2006 (or 18004:2015, which superseded it). To me the question "does it follow 18004:2006" is the same question as "is it a working QR code"). If you are printing barcodes, I do suggest you use QR code validation techniques and tell the client what your validation methodology is. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines