• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign refreshes all references after one change in document - a lot of waiting in local network

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working with file that is in my local network on serwer. My InDesign file have a lot of references. My network disk is slow about 100Mb/s. The problem is with InDesign that after some changes refresh all references to about 20 files, (perhaps he open this files in background, check numer pages, and close files).

After small chenges in my working document i must wait 😞

All related with references files hase about 700 pages.

How to do it that indesign turn of refreshing references after changes?

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't typically work over a network - but recently my desktop & my laptop both failed within a few days of each other, so I've been stuck for some weeks working on my backup computer with an HDD, an actual stack of magnetic spinny-disks, so my computer sometimes performs as if I am working on a slow, glitchy network. I found, like you, that InDesign files that had cross-references to other files work very slowly. My strategy was to simply open up all of the necessary files in the background, so that I wouldn't have to wait around for it to update all of those cross-references.  You could probably do better by copying your files locally, assuming that you have a recent machine with sufficient RAM and a sufficiently fast SSD. 

I don't know of any way to supress InDesign's background cross-reference checks. I've always thought it odd that using live cross-references would bring InDesign to a halt, when there are clearly controls to update xrefs manually in the flyout menu on the Cross-References panel. Many years ago, when I was stuck working on a slow, glitchy network, what I did with such files was to write my own Javascript that would update all of my manually created cross-references. Other than "not using InDesign's native xrefs and rolling one's own," I'm not sure what else I can suggest for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn off preflight, would it help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I work with indb I often work without opening the indb file to speed up things. At the end I open it of course to get everything updated in a single task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It dosn't matter. If You have references to another indd files I have this problem. A saw that indesign open and close all files that he heve reference and the BIG issue is that Indesign search references in main file... open file to which it relates, update, and search next reference. For example: at first he find some reference to file X and next indesign find references to file Y and of course update and i next if he find next references to file X indesign open file X again :(((

How to unchec refreshing references ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines