Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

InDesign refuses to start, "requires Windows 10 or later..."

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since a few months ago when I updated to the latest version of InDesign, I have been entirely unable to get the software to launch. When I try, it checks my system (Windows 10 1903) and determines that it's not compatible:

> Adobe InDesign requires Windows 10 or later (Note: Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 version 1507, Windows 10 version 1511, Windows 10 1703, Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows 10 version 1803 are not supported)

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling InDesign, installing older versions of InDesign, and signing completely out of Creative Cloud. Nothing changes this message.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing the issue is the "custom" Windows image I use, which is just Windows 10 Enterprise Edition renamed to include the name of the PC service company that installed it (WINDOWS.10.1903.FIXFASTPC.BASEIMAGE). I suspect that a recent change to InDesign is being overly picky about the exact spelling of the version name and mistakenly identifying my OS as something other than the compatible version that it is.

I'm going to attempt to change the version name to something normal and see if that fixes it. If not, then I would hope that Adobe's software engineers can modify InDesign so that it no longer returns this error falsely.

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version name was a fluke, it turns out that those registry entries are deprecated anyways so I doubt InDesign is reading them.

What eventually worked however was downgrading to the oldest version of InDesign that I had access to (v 15.1.4). Not ideal, but I don't need any of the features in the newest version anyways.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a 64 bit version of Windows?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Could you please share a few more details along with the one asked by @BobLevine:

• The exact version of InDesign is currently installed on your machine.
  • Screenshot of the System Information.

Also, you may try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

1. Go to this location C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\
  2. Right-click Creative Cloud.exe and choose Properties.
  3. In the Creative Cloud.exe Properties dialog, click the Compatibility tab. Next, deselect the Run this program in compatibility mode for option and click Apply.
    Anshul_Saini_0-1634935931047.gif

4. Repeat the steps 2-3 for all the executables mentioned below:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\HDBox\Setup.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\HDBox\Set-up.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\ElevationManager\Adobe Installer.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\ElevationManager\AdobeUpdateService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\ADS\Adobe Desktop Service.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe
  5. Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud desktop app.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines