• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign script for merging documents in one document

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm after a script so I can merge multiple Indesign documents into one. This is so we can quickly locate missing links quicker from a supplied folder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Try this script: Merge files by Michael Zaichenko

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

also a script would need its time to merge documents 😉

Why not using a book of several documents and preflight this?

What is your version of InDesign on what operating system?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so we can quickly locate missing links quicker from a supplied folder.

A script could also open a folder of documents and generate a list of missing links. That would be  a much easier script to write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2018 on Mac OS. Need to be quick hence the need for a script. Opening 50 documents is time consuming to link each folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening 50 documents

Are you trying to relink the missing links or just identify the documents with missing links? Are the documents grouped in folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Скрипт MultiPageImporter | Эффективная работа в Adobe InDesign | Приемы работы, хитрости и секреты, ...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forum.rudtp.ru/threads/kak-obedinit-neskolko-fajlov-indizajna-v-odin.38556/page-2#post-54818...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this script: Merge files by Michael Zaichenko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasyan Servetsky : love this script, use it all the time -- but it's broken in the new version of ID CC! it doesn't show all open documents, only the active open document. any chance of an update that you know of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no chance!

I am not the author and it’s a binary jsxbin-file (meaning that the author preferred to hide the code).

The only option is to get in touch with him: Michael Zaichenko by e-mail.

Also, you can try the “Version XX.X Scripts” folder trick to get old scripts working in newer InDesign versions.

(XX.X — is the old version number where it worked: e.g. 13.0 for CC 2018). Create it in your Scripts Panel folder and copy the script here.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Kasyan, I emailed him - we'll see what comes of it!

(Laubender​ - the script worked flawlessly for me until the most recent update.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what's your operating system?

I did my tests on German Windows 10.

Script was started from the User folder of the Scripts panel in InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise N 64-bit. Script is installed in the same place - user folder of the scripts panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange.

Tested again with CC 2018.1 and failed.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same version:

MergeFiles-2016.jsxbin

Created 08:16:56 March 29, 2016

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was currently searching for this kind of task, and stumbled upon this. And just to chime in: This version still works with CC 13.1.1 (2018), didnt checked it on 2019.

After hitting "All open docs" i get my list filled with open documents.

Also a needed suggestion for this method (opened docs): Make a checkbox (appear), reading "Close merged docs", which obviously should do force-closes the successfully merged documents, leaving the "untitled-1" behind.

sfitzgeraldTU​, did the author respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using the script for 2 days, i can say that this bugs my version of InDesign too.

But I found out:

• The filename of the active document is always in the list

• long filename or maybe path+filename does result in documents not popping up in the list

• a doc named "S160832_CHfr Einleger Ergomaxx Gel Touch Topper.indd" disappears.

• but shorten this to eg "S160832_CHfr.indd" the file shows in list

It might be an oversight with long filenames, defenitly fixable by the author…which didnt respond, i guess, isnt it sfitzgeraldTU​?

I guess, that wasnt it.

But my second guess is better:

I was using "old" documents, which got last saved in a InDesign below 13.1.1, and result in names like 123.indd (umgewandelt) with brackets behind.

If I save these into a current version, which is not to be auto-converted (and has no filepath yet) anymore, the script will show these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sfitzgeraldTU ,

just tested Michael Zaichenko's script with CC 2019.

You are right. Only the active document in front of all others opened is listed with the script.

The workaround would be to use a folder where you copy all documents to you want to merge.

Merging all documents of a folder is working with the script in InDesign CC 2019. Just tested that.

FWIW: Just tried option "All Open Documents" with my installed InDesign CS6 version. It does not work as expected. Same issue that I see in CC 2019. So I think, it never worked with this script file. A version folder would not change that.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not able to open the website and can't find the script.

Can you please give me a website url to get the script?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hetal5C4C,

Kasyan's website can be found here:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/

So the script should be available this way:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/merge_files.html

Hm. No. There is another link there that is leading to a discussion at InDesign Secrets:

https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/collect-individual-files-contained-in-a-book-in-one-indd-document/...

Well. Anne-Marie Concepcion posted the link over there:

http://indesignsecrets.com/downloads/MergeFiles-2016.zip

FWIW: It does not hurt what Kasyan is writing about the script.

Also interesting what's said in the discussion at InDesign Secrets.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kä X281699

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines