• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Share for review - Images are blurry

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I prepare an InDesign file using "Share for Review" feature, the images are exported out rather low resolution / blurry as seen here:https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:913908ef-996f-4b5f-b99d-f730a011bda9?view=published

These images are quite hi-res in the original document and look fine in InDesign, but they are overly compressed when viewed in the review pane. The original source images are in PNG format.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Hi careapp,

best do a bug report at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Also come back when done and post the link to the report so that we can vote for fixing this.

My assumption is that InDesign has a problem with the high value for effictive ppi in your case.

That's not normal!

FWIW: Are you able to export to PDF with option [Smallest File Size] and not see this issue?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out. We have received a similar request on the Adobe InDesign UserVoice, and as per the comments from our Engineering team, "Share for Review is to quickly share a design that is still a work-in-progress with the Reviewer(s) for quick feedback. Since the review opens in a browser for the reviewer, it has to load quickly even on slow networks, that’s why the image quality has been kept low deliberately so that the page loads quickly without long wait times. Using hig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The compression in Share for Review is excessive, and enough to raise concerns from proofers who don't understand it's a low-res proof. Provide quality options, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I just discovered this function, then immediately abandoned it after seeing how the compression totally botched up my document. Great idea, awful execution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping there was something I was doing - but to find out this is just how it is supposed to be?  No.  I can't constantly explain why everything looks terrible.  No client will understand "that's just how it is" and sign off on something or even give feedback without constantly asking why things look bad.  Vectors look great -- it's just rasterized images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this ever get resolved? I have seen some Adobe employees saying standard practice as it's used to share work in progress and made to be quick so makes the resolution of images smaller, it's only for internal use etc...

But at my place of work we are using this to share designs with clients too, so they can comment their amends to us, pin to specific pages and avoids the client keeping files that aren't finalised and having the wrong one on file. It streamlines the process when designing websites in XD and sharing with the client, they get to see the site look as realistic as possible and makes feedback easier so would be great to see in the same quality on other Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when you're only using them internally, internal stakeholders are going to see a very low-res image and say "hey that image is too low res." It's useless to use this as a solution for reviews when you have to say "oh ignore the pixelated images" and then do a separate review later as a PDF to get approval on the image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. 

It's too blurry and it makes no favour to all my hard work. I rather export as pdf and get my comments in another plataform. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been around for 2 years with no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting on this. 3 years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has it been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R. Pupkin 

did you try that recently? I did not. But my guess is that you still will not see a highres representation of images in Share For Review. That's one of the reasons I will not use it with my clients.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did try and was hoping that they had implimented some setting options, unfortunitely not. I'm going to stick to using the Publish Online option, although this has disapeared from the "Share" menu where I used to access it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kind of shocking given InDesign's reputation for precision that these previews are permitted to be so low quality. They've just given us something to apologize for. Not a good look as they say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can do your artwork in Illustrator it produces a higher resolution image. Not ideal, but if it is only a one page doc, copy your InDesing file to Illustrator and then share it for review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Craig29210919lf7q ,

interesting to see that "Share For Review" done with Adobe Illustrator will yield to better results.

Still, I have to test this with Illustrator. And also if overprinting elements are showing the overprinting effect for example.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get an update on this? Every png/jpg image in links I share looks low res - and each time I have to tell the client "no, it's just Adobe's Share for Review feature, don't worry" - it reduces their confidence in the platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates being made to this feature? I'd love to have at bare minimum a setting where I can control the dpi of the raster image outputs. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out. We have received a similar request on the Adobe InDesign UserVoice, and as per the comments from our Engineering team, "Share for Review is to quickly share a design that is still a work-in-progress with the Reviewer(s) for quick feedback. Since the review opens in a browser for the reviewer, it has to load quickly even on slow networks, that’s why the image quality has been kept low deliberately so that the page loads quickly without long wait times. Using high-res views will slow down the loading of pages in the browser considerably, marring the experience". Having said that, I'll share your feedback with the team and you can do that too by posting a new request.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is fast load times don't matter if what appears afterwards is unusable for review purposes (as many of us have said in this thread). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand the load.  Hoping there is somewhere in between as now I spend a lot of time telling people "ignore the review quality" but still constantly get comments of "why does this look bad?"  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on miket. I've now had multiple clients saying 'This feature is great and has so much potential, but the image quality is terrible, please send us a PDF' and you end up with half the comments on the share link and half on a PDF which completely misses the opportunity of the online share platform as a single point of truth.
May I suggest that it loads low res proxies by default, but then the user has the option to 'view high res images'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like an excuse I would read on a forum from 1993.
We all load web pages full of high-resolution images all day, every day. 
You are trading load time for quality images. The entire community and their clients have asked for quality images at the expense of load time. We are not concerned with load time. I would rather a client wait a full minute to see a good design than a poor design in 15ms.
"Marring the experience"??? The experience is sufficiently marred already. This is what we are explaining.
Either your engineers simply refuse to listen to their customers or they have another reason for using low-res images (hard drive space for high-res for so many users, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"deliberately kept low"

How low? What ppi and compression level did the Adobe engineers elect to use?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

it's not only low quality of images. There's more ( or if you prefer ) less to it:

Overprinting does not work at all.

For years now I suggest the equivalent of the following PDF settings for export with Share For Review:

En_US-PDF-Export-All-PDF-Readers-SimulateOverprint.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....same issue...I use PDF in the future...with that bad quality it´s not possilbe to get a o.k. from the client. Maybe Adobe will kill this feature like other softwares.

(Thank you Adobe for raising the subscription prices and killing another Software like XD...well done!) Before you do that you should check your AI if it works correctly...midjourney is much far better for less money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi
I am struggling with a SVG file that blurs in share for review. 

This is odd as its the only time this has happened and I have worked on various other documents with hi res images no problem. It looks really poor to send for approval. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 15.36.41.pngScreenshot 2024-04-17 at 15.35.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines