• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign showing the shortname instead of the actual filename in the Links pallet.

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running latest InDesign on Windows 10.

I have a document that has dozens of images placed, and I need to use captions to show the filename of that image.

I'll then export that as a PDF and then a 3rd party will pick images from the file system, referring to that PDF.

However a large selection of those images are showing up in the links pallet with a shortname, instead of the actual filename.

e.g. "Diverse iStock-1337180361.jpg"
is "DIVERS~3.JPG" in the links pallet.

and therefore the caption underneath it is the shortname which isn't it's name in the filesystem, making choosing it impossible.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Just an update on this, in case anyone else has this problem.

In the end, it was the Windows file path being too long.

If the path length is greater than 260, it will use the shortname.

When I moved the folder so that the file path was shorter, the problem doesn't occur (still have to replace all the images that have defaulted to the shortname though).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the width of the panel to see the full name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but that's not the correct answer and I don't know who marked it as such.

Panel is already extended, it's not that.

I need to know why InDesign links pallet is showing the Windows shortname, instead of the actual long filename.

It's not showing it for all placed files, just a seemingly random selection, all different file formats, placed from the same network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot would go a long way to helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you see the shortname in the top section of the panel change the width of the column for Name.

You can drag the column to a different width if you select the right column's border.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you storing your images?

It appears whatever system you are on is using the old 8.3 character file name structure. This could be due to an old server software version or storing/transferring using an MS-DOS FAT formatted disk/thumb drive that has a 8.3 file name structure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it might be something like that - they are all on the same network server which is odd though.

I don't manage this, so it looks like a trip to our IT dept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update on this, in case anyone else has this problem.

In the end, it was the Windows file path being too long.

If the path length is greater than 260, it will use the shortname.

When I moved the folder so that the file path was shorter, the problem doesn't occur (still have to replace all the images that have defaulted to the shortname though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines