• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign slow Performance

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 16.2.1, following recent performance updates is now running much slower than previous versions.  Don't know what Adobe has done, but now running  very slowly.

My system is: Windows 10 Pro version 20H2, build 19042.964. My computer is ASUS 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor with Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz with 32GB of usable RAM.

I have tried defragging, cleaning unwanted files and running a sytem performance software with no InDesign software improvements.  Other noe Adobe software running as before.

Anyone else having similar problems since the recent updates?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention this is InDesign 2021 version 16.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue here slow or unresponsive, for a product used by design professional and consultancies, tad tired of being continually used as a guinea pig... Simply not fit for purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also with InDesign 2021 version 16.2.1.102 on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

I cannot see that it is considerably slow.

Hm. How did you do the update?

Did you migrate preferences from a previous version?

I did not. I keep all preferences and cache folders "hidden"* from the installer for all my installed versions of InDesign before doing an update. To the effect that an updated InDesign cannot borrow preferences from previous versions.

* I either move them out of my user folder or zip them and then remove them.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky you...

Traditional Mac user from the days when software was supplied on a CD and worked out of the box... Issue appears to be the continual pinging Adobe servers to validate subscription. However will take your advice and delete preferences.

Appreciate your insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatic upgrade through Adobe creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havent been able to work all day because of the upgrade to InDesign 16.2.1. All my documents lag. I have reinstalled InDesign. I have deleted all my preferences and restarted. I dont know how to install the previous version so i can get some work done. I am at my wits end. Please can someone tell me how to sort this problem out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to find all Preferences and Cache folders from ALL versions of InDesign installed:

Restore all preferences and default settings
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html

Before doing anything:

[1] First do a backup.

[2] Then remove them.

[3] Start InDesign 2021 so that the new folders are created

[4] Restore all removed folders from the backup in [1] that are NOT from InDesign 2021.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried reinstalling InDesign. I have restored all preferences and default settings. I have restarted everything. I have had no luck with an of it.

I am attaching two screenshots of 2 different documents. 

Please help. I have lost a whole days work now because of the upgrade. Please tell me how to reinstall the previous version so I can get some work done. I am desperate now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lee annh24904440 said:
"All my documents lag and a red banner comes over the screen and I just cant work."

A red banner?

Could you post a screenshot?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I scroll down, its just black. Yes, there is a page below, but it does not show. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lee annh24904440,

this could be a problem with GPU rendering.

Turn off the GPU from your preferences.

That may also help with the other issues you have.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that seems to have done the trick. Thank you. I will work through some other documents and let you know if I have any other problems. There are a few things that are different, like the click and drag to enlarge a section. That isnt working well, it enlarges the page too much. But at this stage, that is the least of my worries. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problems that everyone else here on this thread is having with 16.2.1. What a buggy release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! I have a Macbook, BigSur 11.3.1, Intel i7, 16gb RAM. I can't do anything in InDesign right now after the 16.2.1 update. It's so slow and buggy it frustrates me to no end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Awitmer and Esther5C94,

I'd do a clean install, something I described in this thread some posts before:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-slow-performance/m-p/12032120#M428982

And I would turn off GPU support in the InDesign preferences.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Laubender, thanks for the tips. I've tried both but unfortunately it doesn't help. The first moment after I open InDesign it seems to work somewhat decent but after a few moments it is super slow again. I can't even scroll through the pages let alone move of place anything..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines